t h i r t e e n

The walk to the meeting place was silent, but full of tension. There was no interest on either Bea nor Luther's part to strike up a conversation; the two just didn't like each other. When seven-year-old Phoebe first joined the family she was shy, yet had every intention of becoming amicable with all of her new siblings. However, for some reason or another, one boy in particular decided very early on that this was not going to be the case - with him at least. This newcomer was not a part of their family, and she never really would be. He wouldn't allow it. He couldn't allow it. There was something about her that he didn't like. Ask him now, twenty odd years later, and he'd tell you it was a 'feeling'; something he didn't trust. A ludicrous and laughable reason to fill someone's childhood with bullying and degrading behaviour. On their trek through the Academy, Bea stayed a reasonable distance away from the mountain of a man.

 When she entered the grand living room, Bea noticed that it was empty.

"Is this a joke?" she asked, folding her arms in front of her.

"We have to wait until everyone is here, Phoebe. It's important," came Luther's blunt reply. "Stay here, I need to go out and find Five."

Bea scoffed. "Good luck with that," she said, sarcasm lacing her tone. "I'll help-"

"No," Luther stated, speaking over the woman. "You need to stay here."

"You'll find him so much faster if I help - and you know it. Do you always have to be so damn stubborn?" Bea asked, beginning to become angry with the man's attitude towards her.

Luther didn't supply her with a response, merely deepening the scowl that permanently resided on his face whenever he was around her. He marched towards the Academy's foyer with purpose and gusto, long coat flowing out behind him.

Jogging slightly to keep up with his pace, Bea called out to him. "Luther! I'm helping whether you like it or not!"

"You want to help?" he bellowed, turning on his heel sharply as he reached the front doors, effectively stopping the woman in her tracks. "Then stay here. If Five comes back at least someone will be here."

"That is so pathetic-" Before Bea could finish her insult, Luther had wrenched the wooden doors open and slammed them behind him...right in her face. "Stay here, Phoebe," Bea said, changing her voice to portray a mocking version of Luther's. "Dick."

----------------------------------------

Just under an hour later, Bea heard commotion from upstairs. She had retreated back to her bedroom after Luther had left, putting her headphones on and trying to calm herself down with some of her favourite music. It had worked for the most part, but she had become bored from staring at the ceiling for so long. For the last ten or so minutes before the commotion, the music had been switched off and she had laid there, waiting. 

Once the noise indicating the arrival of other people had entered her ears, she had jumped up from her place on the bed and raced up the stairs to the living room. When she passed through the doorway, she saw that nearly all of her family members were already there, minus a few. Five was evidently still absent. Of course he didn't find him, she thought, rolling her orange eyes. Or at least, couldn't convince him to come back. It appeared that Luther couldn't possibly get more incompetent in her eyes. Pogo and Grace were also missing, most likely off somewhere within the complex of the Academy. Perhaps they weren't even invited in the first place. 

Recognizing that she was standing there with a frown on her face, Bea allowed herself  to relax and smile as soon as she spotted Klaus. She slowly made her way over to him, with plans to ask him whether or not he had found the mystery object he had been searching for. Klaus was neither sitting nor standing, choosing to recline slightly on the back of one of the large sofas. He was eating from a bag of crisps, making Bea realize that it had been a while since she had last eaten - though she'd had plenty of time to do so. Leaning, as Klaus did, on the sofa next to him, she nabbed one of the snacks from his stash; if he noticed he didn't say anything.