t w e n t y . s e v e n

To say she'd had a 'good' night's sleep would be an understatement. Bea hadn't been sleeping well as of late; with all of the concern for her loved ones, and the looming fear of death growing ever larger, restful nights had evaded her. Last night however, curled up next to Klaus, Bea had slept like a baby. She had been kept warm enveloped in her boyfriend's arms and was incredibly comfortable on the tiny mattress with him. 

Speaking of Klaus, she was very much looking forward to waking up next to him for the first time in ten years. The reality of the situation though was different. As her eyes slowly opened and let in the light from the windows, Bea patted the space next to her, finding it surprisingly cool and vacant. Sitting up hastily she looked around Klaus' room, rubbing her eyes. She stretched, reaching up to the ceiling like a cat and feeling her bones crack as she did so. Now, fully awake, Bea was on high alert. Did he sneak out? she worried automatically. Did he relapse and go to hunt down his secret drug stash? Although Klaus had been shaking like a leaf from withdrawal last night, he had done remarkably well for himself in getting sober and Bea was proud. If he had snuck out to take drugs then it was something she would have to deal with; she'd help him get sober again if it was the last thing she ever did. And, current events taken into account, it may well be.

Placing her still sock-covered feet to the floor, she pushed herself out of Klaus' bed and walked out of the room, heading towards the kitchen. A final, optimistic thought of hers was that withdrawal had made him hungry, so Klaus may be there attempting to prepare himself something to eat. As she neared the kitchen, she began to hear voices. Well, voice. A conversation was happening but to the untrained ear it was one-sided. 

"You're such a pessimist! She wouldn't think that." A pause followed Klaus' words before he spoke again. "She's more reason than you that I'm sober so I'm making her breakfast - and you know what? You don't get any!"

"Don't be mean to Ben," Bea smiled, waltzing over to them. When he heard her voice, Klaus spun around in shock. He looked rather comical, wearing a pair of bright red oven gloves and holding a frying pan and spatula in either hand. The detail that made Bea want to laugh the most was that there was absolutely no sign of ingredients anywhere, though the smell of coffee filled the space. 

"Bea!" Klaus exclaimed, a frown adorning his handsome face. "Oh man - I wanted to surprise you."

She chuckled, leaning in to steal a kiss from his lips, drawing them into a smile that matched her own. "I'm definitely surprised. By the way, what wouldn't I think? I assume you were talking about me." 

"Oh," Klaus looked pointedly towards an empty chair at the dining table. "Ben thought that me not being there when you woke up would make you think I was having an episode."

Bea blanched a little, trying not to let the guilt show. To save face, she questioned him. "Meaning?"

Still glaring at the chair, he pointed the frying pan towards it, tilting his head to the side. "That I'd run away to get high."

Shit. Following Klaus' gaze, Bea folded her arms. There was no need for Klaus to know that it really was her exact initial thought. In fairness, she didn't believe that was what he was doing; she had just allowed the thought to cross her mind. "Why would I think that?" she asked, false hurt woven into her voice.

All of a sudden, Klaus gasped. "Don't just shrug - that's so rude!" He gasped again. "Rolling your eyes is even worse!"

"Klaus?"

"Yeah?"

"He didn't just shrug, did he?"

A brief silence swept over the room, eventually broken by Klaus' joyful laughter. "No, but he is so mad I said that."