s i x t e e n

It had been an emotional afternoon, that much could be said for certain. A magnitude of truths had come to light and the Hargreeves siblings were processing them in different ways.

After the discovery of their deceased mother and his conversation with Bea, Diego had left the Academy to find an ounce of solace with an old flame, briefly muttering goodbye to his sister as he went. Allison, too, had disappeared without a trace.

Bea had seen Diego off before wandering through the Academy's halls, recalling all of the past events and mistakes that had led her up to this specific moment in time; she was bitter, angry, sad and at a loss of what her next move should be. She didn't want to stick around Grace any longer than she had to; the sight of her adoptive mother's lifeless eyes was enough to squeeze all of the breath from her slender body. On top of that, Luther was up on the balcony and Bea couldn't face him again just yet. 

After a little while, she wound up in her old bedroom which had been tidied to a spotless standard after the atypical anomaly that was Five's appearance a few days prior - no doubt cleaned by Grace. Bea hurried over to her wardrobe, wrenching it open and peering inside. Changing into a fresh set of clothes would no doubt help reset her mind, and she desperately needed to clear her head. The wardrobe was a well-stocked piece of furniture; the consequence of her forced and involuntarily permanent exit ten years ago.

Grabbing a turtleneck sweater and a pair of jeans, the redhead threw them on and immediately reveled in their comfort. She collapsed onto her bed, staring at the ceiling and allowing the weight of the world to fall suddenly as tears from her orange eyes. 

Sobs wracked Bea's body in unending waves, forcing her to curl in on herself as she lay there. She wanted to curse the world, curse whatever gods may be out there for imposing such hell upon herself and her family. What did I ever do to deserve this? She wanted to scream but the words simply wouldn't come out. Let the world end for all I fucking care. What has it ever done for me? 

Her eyes sprang open. She sat up. "What has the world ever done for me?" she repeated, whispering aloud this time. "Oh, I don't know...it only gave me the love of my life, four siblings whom I cherish, and a second chance!" Leaping to her feet, Bea wiped her eyes with her sleeve, looked in her vanity mirror, and delivered a sharp slap across her right cheek. "Get it together, Phoebe Hargreeves!" Staring at her reflection she continued, muttering to herself. "I need a plan; find Five, find those bitch assassins, find Klaus and save the world from total annihilation. Easy." Moving to the doorway, Bea glanced out into the hall. Memories of all the times she had previously exited her bedroom after the Umbrella Academy had received a mission flashed before her eyes. That's all this boiled down to, after all: a mission. "Let's do this."

----------------------------------

The first place Bea thought to start was Five's bedroom, where not too long ago she had seen him climb out of the window with a large duffel bag strapped to his back. If there were any clues to his whereabouts, they would be in that room. She entered, calmly, and began her search on his small desk before moving throughout the room; there was no point in rushing around and frantically throwing objects - she wouldn't find anything that way.

Not ten minutes after her careful search began, which so far had resulted in zero finds, Bea heard two recognisable voices carrying themselves towards her location.

"Master Luther; Master Five has not been seen in this house for a few days!"

"I know that, Pogo!"

The woman rolled her eyes, leaning her head back and scoffing. Of course Luther wants to bulldoze in on my investigation. 

The bedroom door creaked on its hinges as it swung open, with more force than necessary. Luther strode in, filling the doorway as he did so. Behind him Pogo, relying on his cane more now as a result of the speed he needed to match, stumbled in after him. The giant of a man was shocked to see Bea standing in the room already; he furrowed his eyebrows and stared her down in an attempt to be intimidating. What he clearly didn't realise, however, was that ship had sailed a long time ago. "Bea? What are you doing here?" he growled.