Baking

A/N: For pip_head_luther who requested this one-shot :)

Sorry for the delay, I recently got a new phone and it was my 18th birthday so I had a bit to drink and then I started college again after a short break, so I haven't had much time to write recently. I hope you enjoy anyway.

BOOKVERSE

Horace awoke bright and early to the sound of chirping birds outside and a ray of sunshine peeking through the curtains. It had been one of the rare nights where he hadn't been caught up in the throws of a nightmare and screamed until his throat burned.

Throwing the covers from his body and shivering at the cool air, he shuffled over to the mirror on the wall to check his appearance. His hair was a little askew, but other than that, he looked perfectly normal. Satisfied, he turned his attention to the calender on the wall and with wide eyes, took in the single day of the month circled with red marker.

It was Miss Peregrine's birthday.

Checking the time on his alarm clock, Horace hurried around the room, throwing on his clothes for the day and brushing his hair. The Bird would be awake in a few hours to make everyone breakfast, so he had to be quick.

Once he was dressed and had tied the laces to his shoes, he practically threw himself out of his bedroom and across the hallway to Jacob and Millard's room.

Without knocking, he entered and rushed over to Jacob's bed.

"Jake," he hissed viciously in the teen's ear, "Jacob, wake up."

"Wha' is it, dad?" Jacob slurred, turning over and pulling the covers tighter to his chin.

"Do I sound like your father, Jacob? It's me, Horace," Horace deadpanned and shook Jacob even harder.

"Horace?" Jacob questioned. "What do you want? It's..." he turned over and pressed a button on his phone, "like five am."

"I know. But it's the Bird's birthday today and I want to bake her a cake."

"A cake? Can't you just buy one?" Jacob muttered, closing his eyes again.

"Buy one?!" Horace screeched, mortified, then clamped his hands over his own mouth. "I am not buying a cake for the woman who has taken care of us all for Bird-knows how many years."

Shuffling came from the other side it the room.

"Why are you buying a cake for the Bird?" Millard's sleepy voice questioned.

"I am not-" Horace sighed, "look, it's Miss P's birthday today and I want to bake her a cake to show her how much we all love her. Do you two want to help or not?"

"Sure, I'm in," Millard agreed and started getting up from his bed.

"Jacob?" Horace inquired.

Jacob topped Horace's sigh with a dramatic one of his own.

"Fine, fine," Jacob said, "but only because I don't want you blowing up my kitchen."

Horace laughed, "me, blow up your kitchen? With my culinary skills? Anyway, it won't be just us three. We need Enoch and Hugh."

"Are we sure we want Enoch? Who knows what dead animals he's been touching?" Millard said.

"Well, obviously he'll wash his hands," Horace pointed out.

"Fine, I'll wake Hugh, Jacob you wake Enoch," Millard decided.

"What? Why do I have to wake Enoch?" Jacob protested.