The New Kid

"Ruby, you're going to be late for school!"

Ruby's eyes shot open as her alarm started beeping her awake.

"Bleh... Why do I even own one of these things..." She muttered as she pulled herself out of bed.

It took her twenty minutes to shower and get dressed, running down the stairs and being grabbed by the back of the collar before she could get out the door.

She turned to see her sister standing there, looking amused as she waited for a goodbye.

"Love you Yang!" Ruby chimed as she hugged the blonde, groaning when she was lifted off the ground.

"You're getting so big! Sophomore year of high school and here I am leaving." She whispered, squeezing the short haired brunette tightly against her chest. "I'm gonna miss you so much! I'll visit during every break and~"

"Let my face out... Of your boobs... You monster..." Ruby struggled to beg, trying to push her sister away.

Yang rolled her eyes before dropping the girl and kissing her on the head. "Have fun at school. Dad won't be home when you get here, so make sure to eat. And no more cookies!"

"No promises, SEE YA LATER!!"

"Don't you run off like that, you addict!!"

The brunette hopped onto the bus, taking her usual seat and smiling to herself when someone rested their arms on her head from the seat behind.

"Little red, little red." The ginger hummed. "Where were you all summer?"

"It's good to see you too, Roman." The girl laughed, pushing him off and turning around to face him. "Dad wanted us all to take a family trip, so we left for Mistral for awhile."

"Oh yeah? Apparently Neo spent a lot of time there while growing up." The boy laughed. "Maybe you could talk to her about it."

Torchwick got a swift smack to the back of the head by a small hand, a tiny girl with heterochromatic eyes popping into view and waving at Ruby.

"Hey there, Neo." The brunette laughed.

Ruby's two closest friends, Roman Torchwick and Neo... Well, she's Neo, no last name needed.

Torchwick was a bit of a troublemaker, the ginger always finding something that he could either take or break. He was never seen without expensive clothes and his signature eyeliner, but no matter how much people theorized, he most definitely was not gay.

Neo showed up the year before and practically taped herself to Roman's arm, the two going just about everywhere together, hand in hand. The small brunette's hair was dyed to be mostly pink, but that wouldn't last long. She was mute and refused to have a translator, so most people had no idea what she was saying other than Roman. Ruby was learning, but sign language was a struggle.

"You two do anything fun?" The brunette asked the pair.

Neo started to rapidly sign, Ruby only getting about half of what she said before turning to Torchwick.

"I can assure you that you want nothing to do with what she just said." Roman told her straight. "She can party harder than I could even imagine."

Ruby nodded as the bus stopped again, deciding that it was sometimes helpful to only know the very basics of sign.

"Umm, is this spot taken?" A voice asked, quiet and slightly awkward.

The voice came from a tan girl with raven black hair going down to the small of her back.

"Of course not, take a seat!" Ruby offered, making sure the girl had room. "I'm Ruby. That's Roman, and the girl next to him is Neo."

"Sup." Torchwick greeted, Neo giving a half wave to the girl.

"Umm..." The girl hesitated for a moment. "My name's Blake. Blake Belladonna."

Ruby was opening her mouth to speak, but Roman was a step ahead of her.

"Belladonna you say? As in the old money family from Menagerie Belladonna family?" He asked with a massive grin of interest.

"Umm..."

"Don't answer that." Ruby cut in, turning back towards Torchwick. "Why do you even know that?"

"I did a research paper on wealth and influence in summer school." The ginger replied. "The Belladonna's practically run Menagerie."

Ruby shook her head in disappointment. "Roman, don't be a weird stalker person, that's weird."

"It's really fine." Blake sighed. "People ask a lot."

"Well that's not fair to you." The brunette decided.

The quiet girl rubbed the back of her neck for a moment. "At least the question isn't completely unfounded..."

Ruby could feel Roman smirking down at them both, instantly fearing the boost to his ego that was about to come their way.

"Please never finish that sentence." Ruby begged. "I'll never hear the end of it."