CHAPTER ONE: The Glade.

Rattling. That's all I heard- at first. Then I heard a voice. I couldn't open my eyes, and every limb of my body felt like gravity was working against me. I wanted to stir, to force my eyes open. My mind was awake, but my body wasn't.

Then I realized- I didn't know who I was. Who this body belonged to. Where I was, or even what my name was. Fighting off panic and confusion, I force myself up. My head lobbed sleepily from side to side, and I groaned, trying to wake myself up. 

"Wake up!" 

My eyes snap open. Darkness. Rattling, and darkness. And then the feeling of someones soft fingertips gracing my shoulder. It took me a moment before I reached up, and smacked the hand.

Someone stumbled into my vision, which was coming to. Red, blinking lights were only enough to show a feminine face. I started to feel a familiar warmth in my chest when seeing this girl, but I had no clue why. 

"Minnie." The words left my lips before I could stop myself. 

"Where are we?" The girl whispered, then held her face in her hands. She looked scared, and rightfully so. Something in my mind forced me to move forward, and wrap an arm around her, bringing her close. I didn't need to remember much to know this girl was my sister. 

I also find that there are stacks of crates piled around us, rattling along. My fingers dig into the large holes of the metal mesh, my breathing quickening. I crouch down and pull my knees up to my chest, waiting for something to happen.

We don't dare get up. The box, shooting up on gears the squealed like angry bats, rattled uneasily with every passing second. To stand woul be a death wish. 

A death wish.

For a second, that thought entered my mind. Maybe we were dead. The loss of memories and confusion as to where we were going would explain that. But why couldn't I remember my own name? An iron of panic pressed into my lungs. My fingers trembled. Panic was settling in now, and I had now idea how to stop, or how to stop this godforsake box.

Minnie looked up and brushed her long, dark hair from her face. But said nothing. She didn't need to say anything. There was nothing to say, and nothing to observe except for boxes, boxes rattling everywhere with blocky letters spelling out WICKED on them. 

The sudden thought that I was dying returned to my mind, which was a blank slate. 

We sat for a few more minutes- or maybe even hours. Being in the box felt that way. Rattling upwards with no sense of where you were, or what was going on. It was disorienting, and made you lose track of the seconds. I tried counting them many times, over and over, hoping I could make some sense of time but I always came back blank. Always.

I had reached the thirty second mark for what felt like the eighteenth time before suddenly, everything clanked to a stop. The sound of gears clinging to a screeching stop vibrated around my eardrums. The box stopped rattling, eventually falling still and suspiciously so. 

I gulped, and looked over at Minnie. She was looking at me, with that same expectant look. 

"What in the world?" She whispered. We dared not to stand though. We remained sitting.

We wait in silence for a few more seconds, before there's a sucking sound, like a vacuum. The section of metal wall above us splits into two, and then it opens up wider, revealing a sliver of light growing until a perfect large square opening for the box is displayed. The top of the box slowly opens, revealing a large amount of dazzling sunlight. 

Both of us, as an instinct, reach our hands up to shield our eyes. The light was dazzling, so blinding it took me a moment to blink away the spots behind my eyelids. Then I saw the boys.