CHAPTER TEN: A New Greenie.

Giggling. I wake up to giggling. Giggling, and low mumbles.

My eyes flutter open and I'm surrounded by early morning light. I see Minho and Minnie hovering over me and Newt, smiling like idiots.

"Well I'll be shucked." Minho says, causing Minnie to slap his arm, laughing. Well look who's opening up now.

"How long have you been here?" I whisper loudly. I can still see Newt's arms wrapped around me, still asleep, his breaths even. Maybe he could sleep some more, and enjoy this peace if my sister and her boyfriend weren't here.

"About five minutes. We thought you guys went to sleep in the Homestead last night, but I guess not. You guys blend well in the dark." Minnie says, casually shrugging, smirking down at me. 

I glare at her, and Minho watches us, eyebrows raised slightly.

I hear a groan next to me as Newt lifts up his head groggily, eyes opening. He gave a few blinks, and straightened up, before spotting the pair in front of us. 

"You two shanks!" Newt shouts. The flower crown was still perched on his head, and strands of his hair had weaved themselves into the crown. "What'd you have to go waking us up for?" Newt demands. 

Minho and Minnie suddenly turn serious, giving each other a glance. I tap my foot impatiently. 

"Um... the thing is..." Minho begins.

"What?" Newt and I both demand in perfect unison.

We both stand, breaking apart from the embrace we shared, if only for a short moment of time. Nobody seemed to notice that he had his arm around me, but I did see Newt nervously flatten down his pants.

"There's a new greenie." Minnie said shortly, and looked at Newt. 

Silence.

"But it's only been three days." I remark. Everyone turns to look at me- Minnie with her confusion, Minho with his sternness, and Newt with an utterly perplexed look on his face.

Just then, I hear twigs snapping as Thomas runs into the clearing, his face sweaty and flushed. "Come on guys!" he yells at us. Newt is already at his heels as he runs away, the two boys dashing to the box. Minho starts running, and Minnie and I bring up the rear.

"A new greenie?" I say again, shaking my head, my fists pumping. I can already see the gaggle of boys, many heads tilted, their arms raised to the sky, some jumping for better looks.

"Back up you shucks!" I hear Minho yell when I finally reach to the box. It's still not open, but it's moving violently.

Newt stands next to a tall fixture hanging above the box, a chain connecting down. This was where we first met, and it was hard to believe that it was only three days ago. 

I swiftly move in between the boys so I'm standing across from Newt. He meets me eyes and I give a gulp. What would this mean? I looked over the crowds for my twin, but she was enveloped in the gaggle of Gladers. I shake out my hands, and run them through my hair. 

There's that suctioning sound again. It brings back memories of my first day here, how chaotic it was. It seems like weeks ago when it was really only over seventy-two hours ago.

The doors open, and the box stops moving. I peer down into it.

Inside the box, curled into a fetal position is a figure with reddish hair, arms wrapped around legs as it sits on the floor. It's breathing is slow and shallow, in a deep sleep. It's pocket was bulging, and a piece of paper was crumpled in it's hand.