CHAPTER THIRTEEN: Lamar, Suicide Attempts, and Bromances.

*???'s POV*

The maze walls are closed. The runners are gone.

Finally, some bliss.

I grabbed my katana and sheathed it, slipping out of my hidey hole. The curtain of ivy shifted as I stepped through it. I spotted a beetle blade snapped in half, a few stray wires sparking every few seconds from the corner of my eye. It's eye revealed a dim red light. I stepped into the clearing, ignoring the smashed griever. Finally, the Glader's are starting to fight back. 

I remembered my first encounter with a griever like it was yesterday. Not a day goes by that I don't thank the gods above, or whoever was watching us, that I was able to survive this long off of the Maze alone. 

Sometimes I wish I could wander back to the Glade and see how it filled up since I left. Being the first to arrive, I never had any friends- or anyone to stop me from marching right into the Maze.

Due to living in Area six, I only got to explore each week, and I always avoided runners and other gladers. 

I walked across the area, strolling almost casually. My katana thumped in it's sheathe against my thigh. The stars looked spectacular tonight. 

I had a nasty surprise a few days ago, when I saw two runners sprinting in the maze during the night. They didn't look like they were banished. I had the feeling that they were stuck.

Hopefully, nobody else got stuck. To my knowledge, while watching those runner scramble about a few nights ago, I have deducted I am the only one who knows how to kill grievers. 

I was about to go Griever hunting when I heard something. A snap. It sounded painful, like a bone snapping. I would know- when I first arrived, I tried to pry open my home and I accidentally broke my pinky. I had to make my own splint and stay inside my hideout for a few weeks. Katana wielding is useless with a broken digit. 

Then I have a heart attack. That sounded like a girl's scream.

"I'm coming my fair maiden!" I screamed to nobody in general, and took off down the trail to where the screams led from. After living in the Maze for a few years, I'd like to think I have it a bit memorized. At least... my section.

I stepped close to the nearest wall, and grabbed the ivy, climbing up it. When I reach the top of the wall, I searched around. I learned a long time ago nobody could climb on top of the walls. There's a barrier that will shock whatever you touch it with. I learned it the hard way by reaching my hand up to grip the wall and getting a nasty burn. 

I glanced down at the scar tissue on my hand for a second, before looking out to the maze.

I scanned for a while before I spotted two figures propped against the wall near the doors of the left entrance. One looked like a girl, the other a boy. I squinted my eyes, and leaned forward, the wind blowing back my mop of curls.

I slowly climbed down, the mechanical metal sounds of Grievers making the night alive. I ran towards the figures, which are just down the next trail, not caring if Grievers were chasing me. I could take them on!

I turned, as if the thought of a griever summoned one, and saw one staring at me, it's large body whirling, its mechanical arms and trinkets humming.

I stepped towards it and it stumbled off, it's shrill hissing directed towards me. Aw. I was looking forward to some fun.

I turned sharply and made my way down the trail. As I approached, the figures began to take notice.

Ah.

They're looking at me. 

The boy stumbled up, standing in front of the lady protectively.

"And who in bloody hell are you? Are you stung? Banished?" The boy said fiercely, and his voice sounded very familiar now. It's the British accent. As the memories began to dawn on me, my jaw dropped. He was back. He was back in the maze- and this time he brought another friend.