CHAPTER EIGHT: Running & Twinning

The next morning, Newt is leaning over my hammock again, that cocky smile on his face. His usual white tattered over shirt has tied around his waist, like it was a sweater, revealing a dark brown tank top, matching his eyes. He's wearing his previous jeans that cut off at his ankles, showing bare feet. Even though it's early, I can see sweat shine on his shoulders like he had been working for hours.

"Greenie! you're awake!" He gushes, tilting his head. His hair starts falling into his eyes, and he pushes it back, leaning up.

Minnie seems to be awake too, rubbing her face in an exhausted manner. "When will you call us by our real names?" 

He shrugs. "When a new recruit comes."

"And that is?" she replies, mocking his ever-so-casual shrug.

"Usually in a month."

I bite the inside of my lip, watching the other boys as they start to wake. Thomas is already leaning over, tying his runner shoes up. Minnie notices him. "Do I start today?" she asks, turning to face him. I could tell she was nervous- she wasn't as sassy as usual.

Thomas nodded and tightened his laces. "Yup." 

I leave the two of them to get ready while I lean over and start lacing up my boots. I notice how they reek of body odor and wrinkle my nose. I hated smelling bad. Everyone here wasn't as clean as I thought was socially acceptable, but that didn't mean I wanted to end up just as dirty.

"You okay Greenie?" Newt says. I hadn't noticed that he was watching me.

"I smell. I need a shower." I say.

Newt's cheeks gain color and he rubs the back of his neck. "Alright. I can show you the showers after we see these buggers off." A nervous laugh left his mouth, before he clapped his hands suddenly. 

"Minnie, Tommy. Let's go. You're gonna be late for your new recruits first day."

~

Thomas and Minnie race each other to the West Doors, yelling across the Glade to the Minho leaning against the walls. Newt, Chuck, and I stick behind, watching them in casual silence. I can sense Chuck smiling like a little child every time he sees Newt and I look at each other. 

Newt rolled his eyes and I laughed a bit under my breath.

"Chuck, you seem very happy today." I say finally, when we're a few feet away from catching up with the others at the door.

Chuck nods, his curly hair bouncing slightly. "Just a lovely day today... Such a great day to go out on a date." I snap my head to attention, frowning at the boy. I see Newt do the same, uttering a small laugh. "Kids these days." he whispers.

"Hey, you shouldn't talk." I tease.

Chuck laughs, a laugh full of such childish joy, I can't help but feel warm and fuzzy.

 I turn to see that the others were watching us, not realizing that we had stopped until this very moment. Minho pushes off the wall, gripping a round water bottle. "Glad to see you shanks are paying attention now. We're about to bolt now."

I look at Minnie, frowning a little. She's my sister, and I'm kind of nervous letting her venture into the Maze with these boys, especially Minho. No offense to him, but he seems very inteested in her.

I bet she feels the same about leaving me with Newt and the other Gladers, but I'm safe. Grievers pop up in my mind. "What about those Griever things?" I ask. "Will they attack you?"

Minho and Newt exchange glances. "No, they come out at night, when the doors close." Newt answers, rubbing his jaws.

"Be back soon." I say, pulling my sister into an embrace. I squeeze her shoulder one last time before stepping back. Minnie nods curtly, slinging her backpack on her back. Minho nods at the two and they all set off into the Maze.

I watch her back bob up and down, even after it disappeared, and the sounds of their feet thudding had been long gone. I sigh as I feel Newt behind me, reaching out to touch my shoulder. "I know. Time to go."

~

As Newt and I approached the showers, I looked back at him and stopped. The showers were a bunch of stalls lined up outside the Homestead, the doors held together by rickety nails.

"No." 

"What... What do you mean?" Newt stopped walking and turned to look back at me. His hands were on his hips in an almost motherly way.

"No, I'm not taking a shower in those things." I bit my lip and shook my head. "I'll feel too exposed." 

An eye crinkling smile overtook Newt's face. "We don't have any peepin' Toms around here, fair maiden." 

I hold a towel over my arm and sigh. "I guess you can't wish for much when there's a bunch of boys around here." Newt shoots me a glare and opens up stall, revealing a water bucket and a bar of soap.

"Boys!" I give a nervous laugh and walk in. 

After locking the door, I cautiously undressed and began to wash myself. I was halfway through rinsing out my mop of curls when I realized I had no clothes to change into. Bashful, I suddenly glanced around in a panic, suds slipping down my face. 

"Oh no, oh no..." I whisper, sifting through my old clothes and giving them all sniff tests. Everything stunk, and I couldn't just waltz on out, stark naked. I searched the stall, but there was nothing there but body care essentials and a rope, which I had no idea what it's purpose was.

"Newt?" I say, peeking my head over the edge. Newt, who had been sitting on a stump a few yards away, staring at a spot on the ground, looks up, raising an blonde eyebrow.

"I don't have a change of clothes," I mouth. 

Newt rolls his eyes, and seeing blush creep onto his face only makes me laugh harder.

He dashes off to the Homestead. Watching him run off reminded me of the way I felt when Minnie ran off. I turned to look at the maze walls rising up and reaching up to the sky. 

Is she doing okay?

I look back to see a few Gladers milling around, and some glancing at the showers. I duck my head back down behind the stall and sit in a little ball, waiting for Newt's excruciatingly long return.  Luckily, he does return, clothes bundled in his arms.

He tosses the clothes into my stall from a safe, and awkward, distance, and I grab them. The pants look too baggy and the shirt is long. I hang it over the door along with my towel and start to soap up. As soon as every inch is covered in soap, I grab the bucket and rinse off.

Finally, I dry, slipping on the clothes. The jeans fit nicely but the shirt is baggy, so I find a piece of rope and tie it around my stomach, pulling the shirt out and making it baggy yet fashionable.

I step out of the at all and Newts mouth falls open. "You're already starting to look like me."

"Not exactly a compliment," I mumble, but deep down I feel a swell of pride. Newt shakes his head, smiling. 

"Well, I gotta get you associated with the keepers. You already have seen them, but you only know one. Minho. So let's go get associated." Newt began to walk off, motioning me to follow.

"Sounds like a bloody plan!" I say in my best British accent, skipping along side him.