CHAPTER NINETEEN: Remembrance, Gray Skies, and Slammers.

MARIE

A swirling white cloud in an otherwise dark world.  

I stand there, watching it. The wind makes my curls fly past my face, letting my see clearly. I don't know where I am, but oddly- I am at peace. Everything feels numb, but it didn't bother me. I didn't feel anything- and maybe I preferred it that way.

Through the suffocating darkness, the cloud drifts towards me. I reach towards to cloud, my fingertips brushing the funnel. I feel my gut getting ripped forwards, along with my body. My feet try to plant themselves onto the ground, but soon enough, I'm swept into the gusts of the cloud.

Bright vibrant windows of memory swirl around me. My eyes glance up, dazzled by all that I see. I can almost feel them returning to my grasp- the memories I so longed to have for what felt like years...

I see Thomas, Newt, Alby, Frypan, my sister, Lamar, and the girl, and so many other Gladers, swirling around in the cloud. their faces pass in flashes, but I can recognize who they are without needing to think. My brain feels like it's sucking everything up effortlessly, a feeling unknown to someone always confused. 

I turn to see a window of memory with large white labs and computer screens. A woman with blond ehair in a tight bun is peering down at me, but at the same time, she's staring at a stranger. I can see my past self, younger and more vibrant. She has no broken leg, she has no punture in her side, and she hasn't kissed anyone. 

She's whole. Filled with something I didn't have anymore. I reached out to touch her face, but she dissolves and flies into the wind. I take a deep breath and turn, my hair flying into my face and parted lips. I can see everything now. 

It's so clear.

I turn, pausing when I see a young blonde boy playing with a remote control. Something bumps into his leg, and he giggles. He's wearing all white. 

I know it's Newt as soon as I hear him say, "It bloody moves!" 

I open my mouth to say something, but the wind intensifies. All I can hear is wind, and all I can see is the tumbles of thick, brown curls flying into my eyes. I reach out to grab the boy, and tell him everything will be okay, that I'm here, that he doesn't need to jump off the walls, that he's going to be okay, I'm going to be okay, we're all going to be okay...

As soon as my finger tips touch the memory, the wind overpowers, and I'm swept off my feet.

I can feel the rush of memories returning and the last thing I see before I black out once more is two brown eyes staring straight into mine.

~

My eyes shoot open. My lungs rattle painfully as I gasp, trying to fill my lungs with air I lost when I was in the Maze. I felt it all returning- the memories. They were all overwhelming. All the air I thought I was getting back began to squeeze back out of me. 

I went to place a hand over my heart when I looked down to see my hands bound to the bed, as well as my legs. I gave a exasperated groan, but it sounded more like a dry sob more than anything else. 

"Oh God!" I wheezed, tilting my head back and closing my eyes. I could hear everything now- all the white noise was gone and I had left were me and my memories. 

I open my eyes when I hear another gasp. I look over to the door, where Newt was standing. He stood still for a moment. Taking in his looks, he looked nothing like the Newt that I saw in my memories. His childlike, loving grin was no replaced with a grim look, and his eyes had bags under them. His cheeks flushed with rosy color when he saw me.