CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: Thank God For Minho.

I freeze in my tracks, the rattling of the Griever the only sound. The floor threatens to creak under our feet and the bed springs of Chuck's mattress. The sounds of the Griever's slippery flesh against wood makes my skin crawl slowly. 

Just like the Griever.

I take a slow breath in. A slow one out. The sound of the Griever is deadly close. It's close enough I can smell the thirst for blood on it's skin. It's close. It's closer, closer, closer than-

"Run!" I hear a voice from behind me and I turn. Minnie is pointing towards a Griever that is gripping the window sill. Each time it tries to heave itself up, the room gives a creak, and rubble falls in small pebbles. It's beady eyes search the room, and it bares its sharp, needle teeth. Finally, as the others in the room run to the door, it enters.

I run up and jangle the doorknob uselessly. It makes a clanking sound and drops to the floor, rolling down the slanted floor to where the Griever was standing, where all the weight in the room was. I feel the sweat forming beads around my temple as I thrust into the door. The wood splinters but doesn't give. More bodies heave into the door and it busts open. 

The Griever scuttled towards us three- Newt, Minnie, and I- and we scream, scattering like bowling pins. I fall to the ground with a thud, my split not doing well to help me try to get away. The Griever turns, and looms over me, yellow transparent good sliding off its body and puddling to the floor. 

Chuck groans, still in his unconscious state. 

The Griever suddenly turns, swaying its large claw. It swings over my head, narrowly missing me. Thomas is standing in front of Chuck, holding up a plank of wood. He looks pale, but determined. The Griever clicks its pincers, lets out a rattling breath, and starts towards the two boys. I scream and grab the thing closest to me. A lamp.

I rear back, and smash the lamp into the Griever. The shards of glass stick to it's skin, drawing what looks like orange blood, which dribbles down its body to the floor. It squelches, turning to me. I stumble back, my leg dragging behind me. Newt had come back, and shoved me away, but not in a way that suggested he meant harm. I fell once again as Newt swung around a hammer.

"Don't you touch her, you bloody bugger! We're not letting you get another one!" He shouts, his cheeks flushing red as the Griever groaned. Blood ran down its body still. 

Suddenly, the sound of a war cry echoes around the hall as a figure darts into the room. He's holding a long katana, swinging it in the light like a cheerleading rod.

The figure slides under the Griever, bringing the katana up. It slices neatly right under the katana, which drew a straight, deep cut right in the middle of the monster. The Griever gave a shudder, then collapsed, it's mechanical legs giving way right on top of Lamar. 

"Lamar!" Minnie runs up as do some of the others, shoving the large body off of Lamar. But as Lamar rises from the Griever's body, covered in yellow and sticky goo, he looked perfectly fine. He steps over the body, and slides a hand down the katana, which was dripping with goo and blood. He looked like a newborn baby, as disgusting as it sounded. The smell of Griever filled the air. I cover my nose and groan, frowning. Newt does the same, giving a small gag. Lamar wipes the goo off of his shirt, flashing a dazzling smile at George, who is standing next to Minnie. He rolls his eyes and sets the lamp in his hands down.

"Thanks, man." Thomas claps a hand on Lamar's shoulder with a thankful expression, but pauses when he pulls away, a string of goo bridging between his fingers and Lamar's shoulder.

"Don't mention it." He smiles and gives a quick shout of triumph.

I'm about to open my mouth and speak again when I hear, "They got John!" A boy was screaming, followed by a chorus of cries of desperation. A lone cry for help, only answered by turned backs and sorrowful glares.