CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: Breakfast Blues.

I look in the murky reflection on the water bucket leftover from showers and try my best to tame my wild head of hair. My curls start to tangle as I run my fingers through them, but I eventually get them all brushed out.

I look up to see Lamar walk over, looking content with the world. He has his book bag slung over one shoulder, his other hand clutching a plain pancake as he chews. I step aside to let Minnie prep herself up and walk over to Lamar, who swallows.

"How's it going? I see you got the Griever goo off ya." I tease and he smiles through bits of pancake, swallowing again in politeness. 

"Yes, I did. I'm an expert on stains, seeing as I had to deal with them for two years."

"True." I say and I reach to grab and pull a bit of pancake off. He swats my hand and it falls onto the ground.

"Save your appetite girly, for your date." he says date in a sugary sweet voice and I wonder how he found out. Minho is such a loud-mouth.

"Oh, save it for George." I mutter and walk off. 

I hear Lamar turn suddenly. "What did you say?" he says in a urgent tone but I'm already gone, laughing madly. The mist clings onto my hair and clothing as I fight against it, towards the Homestead. The sky is still dull but the thick mist of the morning shows no mercy. The walls are open and inviting, and I shudder at the thought of a griever slugging out and wreaking havoc.

Not now. They wouldn't.

I walk into the Homestead, take one look around, and gasp.

Frypan seems to have went full out, making a buffet for the Gladers. Boys are scrambling over each other to get food. On a long table laid out are plates of pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, and biscuits. Pitchers of orange juice, water, and milk are placed on another table along with syrup and sugar. Plates are everywhere, and Gladers were sitting at tables and on the floor, moshing away at their food.

I grab a plate and pick up a spoon. I begin to drizzle syrup onto my pancakes, which I had to wrestle through a crowd for, when Minnie grabs my arm and I'm suddenly swept away. 

My plate is left defenseless to the mercy of a hungry Glader. 

"Hey!" I shout, but let my twin drag me off, not sure where we're going but knowing it better be good if it cost me some breakfast. 

I'm led into bright room with two empty tables. On the tables are four empty plates and a single candle placed between them.

Sammantha sits in the corner, smiling. She makes her way over and hands me a glass of a yellow liquid. "Drink up." she advises and I take the cup. I give it a slight shake, and the thickness of the liquid barely makes a jiggle. I look up to see Samm smiling down at us, hands clasped expectantly. 

I look away, brows raised, utterly confused. Whatever this was, it felt like I was being accepted into a cult of some kind. I look at Minnie, who was shaking the liquid like I was. I give a small gulp before taking a swig. The liquid travels down my throat like honey, and each taste bud that it touched seemed to scream with disgust. The liquid quiet literally taste like... urine

"Ew! What is this?" I say, wiping my mouth with my sleeve. I notice Minnie had already sat down her cup, not even touching it after seeing my reaction. I thrust the cup back into Samm's hands. 

I hear a muffled voice from a curtained area that has a yellow sign that reads cooks only. It was Thomas's voice.

"He said it's Gally's recipe." She says when seeing Minnie and I craning to hear. "Bon appetite." she says with a small smile, and runs into the area, leaving me alone with the awful aftertaste and my sister.