0.07

Sunshine-
Katniss and Peeta Go For a Swim!
[0.07]

AUGUST,
SUMMER OF 2020,
JUNIOR YEAR

THE NIGHT AIR WAS BLOWING softly, rustling the leaves that litter the trees in Katniss Everdeen's neighborhood. The sun was setting, slowly but surely. She and the tall boy with strong shoulders beside her continued walking down the deserted streets. It was summer time. No one would want to be out in the hot sun but her and the boy. Katniss looked up, her gray eyes searching for the boy's blue ones. "Peeta?" she asked softly. He didn't answer, so she cleared her throat and said, a little louder, "Peeta?" Still, no reply. So, she did the only thing she knew to do. She booped his nose, which always cracked a smile onto his face. "You okay, babe?"

Peeta winced at the use of the nickname she gave him. Babe. One that he didn't deserve. They weren't dating, so why did Katniss always call him babe? Because friends give friends nicknames. "Yeah, I'm alright," he lied. "I've just got a lot on my mind is all."

The girl nodded, then quietly added, "Do you want to talk about it?" He shook his head. "Is there anything that I can do?"

Peeta hesitated for a moment, finally nodding. "Can... can you come over? I know it's getting late, but summer's going to be over soon, and I was thinking we could sit by the pool and talk like we always do, and-"

The beautiful girl cut him off with a smile. "Of course. For you, I'd do anything." So the two walked hand in hand down to Peeta Mellark's home, connected to his family's bakery. The house was empty, prompting questions in Katniss' mind. "Peeta? Where is everyone?"

Peeta sighs, then says, "They're in the Capitol as of now. Word got around about our small town bakery and now they live there. They offered to bring me with them, but I wanted to stay. My mother and I got into a big blowout, and I now live in and run a bakery alone."

Sweet, gray eyes full of tears and sorrow met blue rivers, and Katniss hugged her best friend. "Is that what's up?" the girl asks sadly. She knew that he and his mother never really did get along. I never liked that witch, anyways, Katniss thought.

The blonde-haired boy beside her had small streams running down his cheeks, but still shook his head, surprising Katniss. "Only partially. There's something else, too."

Katniss stared ahead for a moment, then grabbed the boy's hand and mumbled, "Let's go outside." They stumbled out of the house and bakery and into the backyard. A few summers ago the Mellark family decided it was time to get a pool. District Twelve was only getting hotter, and they thought it would be a great way to pass time. Peeta had met Katniss that summer, and invited her over the day their pool was finished. His two older brothers also brought friends, and Katniss was the only girl there. However, she and Peeta spent most of the time getting to know each other (especially each other's favorite colors and personalities) while sitting on the pool steps that the lack of girls failed to make her uncomfortable, something that rarely happens.

The pair rolled up their pant legs and dipped their legs into the pool. "So, what's up, babe?"

Peeta sighed. "I don't really know how to say it."

"And they were roommates?"

Katniss always knew how to make Peeta laugh. It's part of the reason why he loved her. She was always looking out for others, never herself. "And they were roommates." They smiled at each other and stood up, silently deciding to walk around the pool.

Before he could stop himself, Peeta pushed the girl into the water. Why, he had no clue. She sunk to the bottom of the wide area, surrounded by water, and shot right back up immediately. At first she looked angry, then confused, and then she started to laugh. Although laughing was the farthest thing from his mind, Peeta began to laugh with her.

Katniss looked at him with those gray eyes of hers and a smile and reached out her hands. "Help me out, will you?" Out of guilt, the boy obeyed. He grabbed her hands, and right as he was about to pull her out, the owner of the hands clutched in his own pulled him into the water with her. He submerged and shot back up, lungs aching for clean, untainted air.

"You little-" Peeta began, a smile claiming his face, but stopped when his eyes met hers. She was gorgeous. She wore her hair down today, for the first time ever, so it floated around her body. Water dripped down her face elegantly, like sweat, each leaving its own trail and destroying others, and suddenly Peeta needed to be touching her. Her light shirt floated around her, begging to be ripped off.

Before either of them knew what was happening, the girl's legs were wrapped around his torso and his tongue was begging to be let into her mouth. He bit her lip, and immediately was granted access. Their tongues entwined, battling for power, and Katniss won. Katniss always won. Of course, Peeta also granted the shirt what it wished for and ripped the soaked piece of clothing off of the girl's stunning body. She was left with only her bra now to hide her torso. Her body was curved in all of the right places, and Peeta felt as if he fell more in love with that girl just in that moment.

He looked up, and was met with Katniss' wide grin. She returned the favor of ripping off his shirt, and tried to hide the blush from her face as she stared at his chest. She kissed his lips once again, which tasted of sweet caramel and happiness despite the pool water.

This continued for a while, until finally Peeta blurted out the words that had bothered him this whole evening. "Katniss, I'm in love with you."

Katniss looked up once again, dark stormy clouds meeting sweet ocean blue. She smiled at him, pecked his lips. "I'm in love with you, too, babe."

A/N-
Hello my beautifuls! How is everyone! I hope well!

So, this chapter was a little bit heated. I hope that's alright. It's not where I necessarily thought the chapter would turn, but oh well! I love you all so much, and thank you for everything!

- xx,
A🦋💗