0.12

Sunshine-
Max and El Break Into the Community Pool!
For Tiffers5640 !
[0.12]
A/N-
This takes place at what would be after the events in season three. However, in this, the events of Stranger Things never happened. El just moved to Hawkins from New York with her protective father after her mother passed and Max and her family moved as they did in season two. They're all just normal, HAPPY kids!

OCTOBER 26TH, 1986
HAWKINS, INDIANA

"EL! DO YOU WANT TO do something crazy?" asked a certain redhead as the two girls sat on the couch of the quiet cabin in the middle of the forest.

"What?" El asked. She looked at the girl, curiosity bubbling around her brown Bambi eyes.

"We should go out of the cabin and break into the Hawkins Pool," said the girl mischievously.

El looked at her like she was insane. "What? Max, it's the middle of October! Why in the world would we need to go swimming?"

"Because," Max said, "it'll be fun! Come on, dude! Please?" Her blue eyes stared pleadingly into the brunette's own eyes, begging her to do this. "I'll teach you how to skate if you say yes!"

This bargain caught her attention. "Fine. But if my dad finds out, you're dead."

"I really hope he doesn't find out, then. Come on," the redhead smiled, leading her best friend out of the safety of the cabin and out towards her bike. "Hop on!"

El, being the obedient person she is, stood on the pegs of Max's bike as she had the summer before. Ever since the girls had become friends they were almost entirely inseparable. Max loved that their friendship was built, especially after El had given her the cold shoulder when they first met, thinking that she was trying to steal her man. Wow, thought Max. It's been almost two years since I became friends with these weirdos. Boy am I lucky. And for once I'm not being sarcastic. That's odd. Shekicked the kickstand and peddled away from safety.

"Max," El spoke softly, arms gripped solidly around the girl, "I noticed you haven't spent much time with Lucas as of late. Is everything okay?"

"Um," the girl responded, "I guess? We broke up again, but it was a mutual thing. We just didn't have that click anymore, you know?" The touch of El's arms around her made her stomach explode with what she could only place as butterflies— no, moths. She only had moths in her stomach. But maybe these were butterflies.

"Oh no! I'm so sorry, Max! I understand, though."

This picked at Max's curiosity. "What do you mean? Is everything okay between you and Mike?" Although she didn't want to, she couldn't help but feel slightly delighted at her words.

"Yeah, everything's fine, I guess," El smiled. The butterflies or moths or whatever it was in Max's stomach dropped. "It's just, I don't feel that spark anymore. It feels wrong being with him."

"Why's that?" asked the blue-eyed girl in an attempt to comfort her (and maybe to get the inside scoop).

"Because," the brown-eyed girl responded. Her eyes were filling up ever-so-slightly with tears. "I might have feelings for someone else. Someone I shouldn't have feelings for."