0.09

Sunshine-
Mike Wheeler Learns the Truth!
[0.09]
SPOILER WARNING:
THIS IS BASED OFF OF A SCENE FROM SEASON THREE OF STRANGER THINGS AND WILL CONTAIN POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

JULY 1ST, 1985
HAWKINS,
INDIANA

"HEY! ARE YOU GUYS READY to play DnD?" Will Byers asked his two friends as they sat in the middle of Mike Wheeler's basement. So much had happened in that basement, and so much was learned about their strange reality from that tabletop game. But of course Mike and Lucas turned him down, too concentrated with their breakups.

The boy, desperate to have his friends back, tried again later, still getting the same reply. And this was the same thing for about an hour. Eventually he got fed up with it. "We are playing right now and that is the final deal. I am sick and tired of hearing you whine about your girlfriends breaking up with you. I want my friends back. Now let's play for crying out loud!" yelled Will. "Please."

Lucas and Mike stared at the frail boy in bewilderment. The two didn't think Will had a side in him that could yell. They nodded, joining him at the table. "Okay," Mike said.

The boys played for about an hour before the drama started happening. Because of course, the phone began ringing and the hopeless romantics were both hoping for a phone call. "No, it's a distraction, a trap! Do not answer it."

As if not even hearing the boy's pleas, Mike ran to the phone. "El?" he asked. After a second he added, "No, sorry, not interested." He turned to Lucas, who was expecting an explanation. "Toll marketers."

"Maybe we should just call them?" Lucas proposed.

Mike stared at him like he had twelve heads. "You can do that?"

"I think so," the chocolate-skinned boy replied.

"Then what would we say—"

"We'll say nothing!" Will interrupts. "The Tribe still needs your help!"

"Okay then," Mike says. He rambles on about a plan that ends the Campaign in a snap, which doesn't settle for Will.

"Fine, you guys win. Congratulations," he says. He began taking off his costume and turning off the soundtrack, ending any chance of the Campaign being rebooted.

"Will, I was just messing around," the tall boy says in an attempt to make up for his mistake. When the shortest boy doesn't stop packing up, he continues. "Hey, let's finish for real. How much longer is the campaign?"

"Just forget it, Mike!" Will yelled.

"No, you still want to play, right?" Mike asked, turning to face Lucas.

The boy plastered an unconvincing smile to his face. "Y-Yeah, totally!"

Mike smiled. For a second Will felt those butterflies he always felt in his stomach when Mike smiled, but those soon turned into moths when the next sentence left his mouth. "We'll just call the girls afterwards."

"I said forget it, Mike, okay? I'm going home."

"Will, come on!" said Mike. He chased after the boy up the stairs and out of the basement, leaving Lucas alone. He finally caught up to him in the garage as he was about to ride into the pouring rain. "Will, I said I was sorry. We just aren't in the mood."