14. The king of clean rocks?!

If my life were a comic book, my situation would be summarized like this. . . .

"When we last left our hero, he was trapped inside the four impenetrable walls of his locker, brutally imprisoned for three long days, or very possibly all of eternity, by his evil archnemesis, Thug Thurston! Will our courageous hero make it out alive? Or will he be EATEN like a helpless SARDINE with Cheez Whiz and ketchup on the cold, hard CRACKER of DOOM?!"

I cowered in fear as a dark, phantom-like figure moved slowly down the hall toward my locker. And even though its shadow was massive, it made an unusually annoying, but vaguely familiar, high-pitched sound.

I didn't have the slightest idea WHO or WHAT it was. As its shadow fell upon my locker, I held my breath and cautiously peeked out.

That's when I saw . . .

Since it was so late, I assumed he was finishing up his work and about to head home

That's when I started yelling like a maniac. "HELP!! HELP!! PLEASE!! I'M STUCK INSIDE MY LOCKER, AND I CAN'T GET OUT. IT'S KIND OF AN EMERGENCY! HEEEEEEEELLP!"

The janitor stopped in his tracks, cocked his head, and just stared.

He appeared to be trying to figure out which locker the cries for help were coming from.

FINALLY! I'm going to be rescued!!

I was SO happy and SO relieved, I wanted to do my victory dance right there inside my locker. I never thought in a million years that a school janitor would end up saving my life.

I didn't know him that well. But I DID know he had a really tough job.

I mean, would YOU want to clean up vomit, unclog toilets, peel gooey wads of toilet paper off the bathroom ceilings, scrape gum from under desks, and do other assorted totally disgusting tasks?

EVERY SINGLE DAY for thirty years?

For a bunch of loud and obnoxious middle school kids?

I didn't think so!

No wonder the guy was always so GRUMPY!!

In spite of my personal problems, I suddenly felt GRATEFUL to be alive.

But mostly I was grateful I didn't have to clean up after 750 NASTY middle school students!

"UM . . . THANK YOU!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!" I yelled through my locker. "I WAS STARTING TO THINK THAT I'D NEVER GET OUT OF HERE!"

The janitor nodded his head and then picked up his mop.

WHAT?! Was this guy going to try to pry my locker open with the mop handle or something?!

"EXCUSE ME, BUT I CAN GIVE YOU THE LOCKER COMBO. THAT WOULD BE A LOT EASIER THAN USING YOUR MOP!" I said.

Then he did the strangest thing.