27. A Few Fries Short of a Happy Meal?! Really?!

The first thing the police were going to do was contact my parents. Then I'd have to explain WHERE I'd been all evening, HOW I got stuck inside my locker, WHO did it, and WHY my dad's comic book was at school.

Very soon I was going to be the ONLY eighth grader in the ENTIRE WORLD drinking juice from a sippy cup and having naptime on a fuzzy rug while being HOMESCHOOLED by my GRANDMOTHER!

Sorry, but Max C. was NOT going down like that!! Desperate times called for desperate measures, like maybe the . . . TRUTH!!

"Wait, (Y/n)! PLEASE! Don't call the police!" I pleaded. "I'll be honest with you, okay? Those burglars have something extremely valuable that belongs to my dad. I was stupid and brought it to school after he told me not to. Do you have any idea how much trouble I'm going to be in?! And, to make matters worse, my parents will pull me out of this school. I was just starting to like this place. Well, except for Thug Thurston! And the fact that I don't have a single friend here. I'm also sick and tired of being slammed INSIDE my locker. Okay, actually . . . I HATE THIS STUPID SCHOOL! But I HATE being homeschooled by my GRANDMA even more! And if I have to leave, at least I want to do it on my own terms. . . ."

Yes, I KNOW! I sounded pretty PATHETIC. But I had to convince (Y/n) NOT to call the police, or my life was pretty much OVER! I continued. . . .

"Anyway, my plan is to get back my dad's property BEFORE the police get involved. All I need is fifteen minutes. Maybe even LESS time than that! Will you please just give me a chance? TRUST me on this."

Suddenly it was super quiet on the other end of the line. Had (Y/n) hung up on me? "Hello! Are you still there? No? Actually, I don't blame you. I wouldn't waste time talking to ME either . . . ," I mumbled.

Then I heard a deep sigh.

"MAX CRUMBLY! You've given me ZERO good reasons to trust you so far! You're reckless and completely out of touch with reality. Frankly, I suspect you're a few fries short of a Happy Meal!"

OUCH!! That HURT!!

"But . . . I'm going to trust you. Just because you're my friend," she explained.

WHOA!! Did (Y/n) (L/n) just call me her FRIEND?!

"But ONLY under TWO CONDITIONS!" (Y/n) continued. "First, you have to let me help you. I can use the school's new system for controlling the cameras and lights and stuff remotely to track the burglars. Then at least we can see and hear them."

"Hold on! Are you saying our school has surveillance cameras?!" I gasped in shock. "NO WAY!"

I cringed at the thought of kids laughing at videos of my numerous meltdowns and super-embarrassing antics on their phones during lunch on Tuesday. . . .

"Well, it's not up and running for the entire school yet

"Well, it's not up and running for the entire school yet. They're installing it in phases as the PTA raises the money," (Y/n) explained. "But it will be better than nothing. We'll have audio and video, and I'll be able to control the lights and the PA system and other stuff. I just need the password to get access."