~ Chapter 21 ~

~Cecilia's POV~

I was having a difficult time remembering anything, but Claude was very patient with me, for which I was grateful, I felt bad that I could possibly forget something as important to me as my own husband, it was unthinkable, but the more I tried to force myself to remember the past the more painful my headaches became. Claude was the Butler to some rich Earl Alois Trancy, he seemed like a brat, he was rude to the other servants and even ruthless at times, but he was always nice to me and I had no idea if that was because of Claude's influence or because he just liked me. But there was an aura of sadness and pain constantly surrounding him, and it broke my heart. Everyone was nice to me, though the other servants really didn't speak to me much, but that was alright.

"Cecilia?" Claude's smooth voice snapped me from my reverie and I turned to him with a smile.

"I'm sorry, Claude, I was daydreaming, again, what did you say?" I smiled politely.

He sat beside me on the edge of the crystal fountain and streamed his fingers through my hair, "I asked if you would like to help the young Master with his dancing lessons, his instructor has left town and I'm having a hard time finding a replacement." He smiled at me, it still felt a little off to me, but I assumed that was due to the accident.

I felt heat burn in my face, "Do I know how to dance?"

Claude chuckled, "You're a remarkable dancer, my love."

I looked down at the ring on my finger, it had a navy blue stone with black webbing across it with two pointed diamonds that looked oddly like fangs, my wedding ring, something that should hold great value to me, and it felt foreign and restrictive on my finger.

"Dance with me." He swept me a gracious bow and offered me his hand.

I laughed at this, "But, there's no music."

Claude chuckled, "Do we need music to dance?"

I placed my hand in his and allowed him to pull me into his arms, he placed a hand on my waist while his other draped one of my own onto his shoulder and then he captured my other hand and we danced to the sound of the running water beside us. My body moved of its own accord picking up the familiar movements with ease, he spun me out and twirled me back to him before dipping me back low to the ground. I found myself laughing and feeling more alive than I'd felt in days. Claude released me and I continued dancing hearing a melody in my head a sweet haunting melody and I lost myself in the music in my mind.

When I finally returned to reality Claude was smiling at me and applauding, "You're a brilliant dancer, my love." He kissed the top of my hand as he led me back to the manor.

"Thank you, Claude, I feel much better than I have for some time." I smiled linking my fingers with his.

"I'm glad." He squeezed my hand lightly.

"Thank you, for being so patient and understanding."

"Anything for you, my love." He turned to me as we entered the ballroom and produced a black rose from thin air and swept it behind my ear.

I felt the familiar heat of embarrassment burning in my cheeks and I stared down at my feet shyly. Claude chuckled and took a step away from me as Alois came running to greet us.

"Claude! Cecilia!" Alois beamed and immediately latched onto my arm. "Are you really going to help me with my dance lessons?" He smiled up at me, his aquamarine eyes were filled with so much sorrow and loneliness my heart went out to the boy and I soon found myself smiling down at him.