The House

Winter break could not have come at a better time. With all the drama happening, Octavia didn't even hesitate when she agreed to let Nicole and her siblings stay at her house in California. It was all very confusing. First, she was risking her life at school. Then things started to calm down. Then she got two completely different stories of her life, and she doesn't exactly believe either. And now, "He Who Shall Not Be Named" is actually NOT dead, and is going to destroy her parents.

     When they got to the house, Nicole was the first person to enter. She walked through the hallway, and immediatly dropped her bags. She couldn't believe it. The window, the forest, it was all bringing back a sad memory. A memory of her before the orphanage. This was the house she was supposed to be living in.

     She remembered bringing all of the suitcases and cardboard boxes of her clothes into this very house. There was still the same paint on the walls, but no furniture. It was bare, completely bare. The family who had lived in the house before her parents had not forgotten anything. Nicole remembered herself looking out the huge window in the kitchen, and seeing all the rows of trees she could climb in. Then her parents called her over. The moving van people were carrying in a mirror as her parents told her the news that would change her life.

     "Nicole, you are not staying here. This is going to be hard for you, but I know you will be strong."

     Nicole started crying, she knew that this would happen. Her parents were slowly going insane, and she knew it would only be a matter of time before she would go. Her parents were hinting to this for a long time now.

     "Look, you need to stay strong. You need to keep your siblings safe. You have to."

     "Won't you be visiting us?" Nicole said, trying to keep back tears.

     "We can't."

     And this was the last thing her mom ever said that actually made sense. Later that day her mom was sent to a hospital, where her father started frantically worrying for her mother. Everything she said was gibberish. As if she was no longer in touch with reality. Nicole's dad took Nia, Mark, and herself to the orphanage that night. She never heard from them again.

     Nicole couldn't tell how long she had been reliving this memory, but everyone was staring at her when she finally snapped out of it.

     "Are you okay?" Octavia asked.

     "I'm fine. It's just... Nia! Mark! Do you happen to... remember this place?"

     They gave her a confused expression.

     "Um, Octavia? Could you, Nia, Raven, and Mark come talk with me please?"

     Octavia brought them to her room. It was filled blue and purple walls, posters of celebrities, and textbooks were sitting about the room. She had a white desk, with make-up and perfume piled on it. This, Nicole remembered, was supposed to be her room.

     "Guys, I need to tell you something. This was supposed to be our house. And I know you won't believe me, like it is too coincidental, but it was. I remember this house so perfectly. This was supposed to be my room. And I... I just always, I just always imagined coming back to this house to find my parents. And it would've been like nothing ever happened. They would gladly take us back, and my mom would not have to go to the hospital. Octavia, raven, do you know anything about the past owners of this house?"

     "No, not exactly." said Raven, "but they didn't live here long."

     It was silent for a few moments. Nicole tried to remember her parents, Nia and Mark tried to remember the house, and Raven and Octavia just at there, looking at them.

     "Uh," Octavia finally said, "I think it is time you met the family!"