Working out

(If you couldn't tell, I like to tell time through Spongebob time cards)

Over the past few months, nothing has truly been that eventful at least in your field of work. Director Cartier hadn't assigned you anything major to create, but you did create a shield that could be attached to a rifle. It still had quite a few tests you had to take before you could show it off, but it was fun.

You and Ela were still very close. It was rare to see you separated whenever Ela had free time in between training and patrol. You had continued learning to shoot, and have gotten pretty good at it. You were no John Wick, but you'd feel sorry for the other guy if you're Life was threatened and you had a weapon. Ela started you on bigger guns, which you were less likely to use, but Ela insisted.

The two of you were quite close still, even after the "incident." There was the occasional awkward situation and maybe some flirting here and there, but you were just very close friends. Nothing more. You kind of wanted it to be more, but this is a military environment. Could you imagine how heartbroken you'd be if something were to happen to her? I mean, you would be anyway, but it would have another meaning if you were in a romantic relationship with her. Then again, you doubted you'd have the guts to outright tell her. She was intimidating.

"There's another shield you should create." Ela was in the lab looking at what you had so far. She held the shield in her hand, examining the craftsmanship.

"For the last time, I'm not creating Captain America's shield." You reply.

"Why not? Worked for him against the Nazis."

"And you call me the nerd."

"I'm just saying it would be cool to hang up on the wall and wear. Even cooler if it actually worked."

"It would. Who the hell knows. Maybe when I've got literally nothing going on, but remember that's not why I'm here. I'm here to create weapons and technology to take down a terrorist organization. You're here to take it down with as little casualties on our side as possible."

"I suppose." Ela sets the shield down and sighs, kind of disappointed you wouldn't support her idea. "But what if you could make a functional one?"

"Well for starters, vibranium doesn't exist."

"Then get titanium or some sort of bulletproof alloy."

You chuckle and sigh. "Ela, this conversation has gone on too long. You know I'd do it if I could, but I can't. The physics of the shield were made to be fictional."

"I know. Just wanted to see how long it would go on until you got annoyed." Ela starts laughing and you roll your eyes. You two were the only people currently in the lab, which is why Ela acts like this. She trusted you, and could let herself be loose around you. She didn't understand why after these months still, but you enjoyed it. "Well, if you're done creating boring, unpatriotic shields we can hit the fitness center."