After the Mission

You heard the helicopter rotors slowing down as it landed outside of the base

You heard the helicopter rotors slowing down as it landed outside of the base. Ela was back from her mission in Baghdad. You hope it went well. Missions being successful was what everyone hoped for. You also hoped Ela was alright. God you hoped she was alright.

The helicopter killed the engines and the doors started to open. You saw the soldiers walking out, battered and tired. You also saw a couple of stretchers, some had wounded soldiers, others had sheets over their bodies. Your heart sank when you saw those. Who had given their life? Was Ela alright? What about Diego? Blackbeard? Julia? You see a couple of those people walk off the helicopter, looking solemn as Diego and Julia carried a stretcher with a sheet over it. That meant a PMC guy died. Your heart beat fast in your chest. It couldn't have been Ela, right?

That question is answered when you see the green haired Pol walk off the helicopter. You breathe a sigh of relief. Ela was alive. You walk inside the base, glad that Ela was okay and go back to the lab. Ela was going to visit the lab when she got back before going to the debrief. That's what you two agreed upon. You'd probably grab drinks after the debrief and she'd tell you what happened and whatnot.

Sure enough, about five minutes later, Ela walks into the lab. You made sure you had a cover over something you planned to hand to her later and act natural. You look over your shoulder and see her, stopping what you were doing and walk up to her.

"Hey. Welcome back." You say, smiling. Ela just waves, not saying anything. Your smile goes away. "What happened?"

"Just... the mission was rough. Successful, but rough. We lost too many people on our side." She looks down, solemn. "One of them I said I'd go back for. When I did, they were grasping to life. Died right in my arms."

"Oh." It's silent for a moment. You know Ela doesn't really like hugs, but you give her one anyway. To your pleasant surprise, she doesn't resist, putting her arms around your torso. It must have been very rough for her. You'd think after all the missions she'd been on, she;d get used to it, but maybe this one was different than the others.

She separates it, face not really changing. "Thank you for that." Ela sighs. "It just never goes away. Never changes."

You nod your head. You didn't understand what she meant exactly, but you understood how she was feeling. "Well, what's important is that the fallen didn't die in vain. The mission was a success."

"My father did say that the mission comes first. I don't really like my father as you very well know, but that statement has stuck with me."

"Operator Bosak. It's time for you to debrief." A soldier comes by and says.

"I'll be right over." Ela says. No remark or anything. She must be tired.