Adjustment

Ela POV

I wake up when my alarm goes off at exactly 6:00. This was normal. What was not normal was hearing another guy next to me groan in annoyance. It was a good not normal though. I honestly slept much better with (y/n) by my side. It was nice to not have any abrupt wake ups during the night. No night terrors or flashbacks. Just a whole uninterrupted night of sleeping with (y/n) close. It was rather pleasant actually.

"Do I have to get up?" I hear (y/n) mutter into his pillow.

"Nie. Just me. You can rest longer, as long as you're not late for your first day." I yawn and grab my phone to turn it off.

"Thanks. I love you."

"Też cię kocham. See you at lunch."

I peck his cheek and roll out of bed, stretching before grabbing my workout clothes. I head into the bathroom to pee, brush my hair and teeth, and change into my clothes: black track pants and a black jacket with a white shirt underneath. I know. Stereotypical Slav. Once dressed, I make my breakfast, which is just a protein shake and some toast. I answer a few emails, scroll Reddit, then I grab a bottle of water, zip up, and leave the warm house and walk into the foggy, crisp morning.

I begin my morning jog to one of the flagpoles, where I was supposed to meet up with Meghan. Normally I do my morning runs by myself, and I honestly prefer that, but at least once a week the two of us work out together just to talk about what's going on in Team Rainbow or debate strategy if we're grouped up in a training exercise. She's one of the people I trust here, especially after what we went through in Operation Orange Sky, so I'm completely fine doing my runs with her.

While I jog, I think of what (y/n) might expect on his first day. I really want him to enjoy being here. He should be okay, though, right? He likes tech and engineering. He'd be a great fit for Elena. He made do with the PMC and he wasn't exactly in the right shape to be there, but like everyone he adapted. I'm probably stressing too much over this. Everything will be fine. As long as he wakes up and everything, he should be alright.

I get to the flagpole and see Meghan accompanied with someone else. Meghan was doing some stretches while the other one was just standing there talking to her. They notice me approach and Meghan stops what she's doing. "Took you long enough."

"Zamknij się. You weren't flying for several hours." I slow down as I approach, finally making out the other person next  to her. Elias "Blitz" Kötz. Besides Meghan, Craig, and Timur, he's one of the few people I talk to here outside of work. "Didn't expect to see you here."

"I aim to surprise, künstlerin." He replies.

"Mind if Elias joins us for today?"

I shrug. "Sure. 5k sound good?"

"It'll be an easy run then."

"Just try not to slow us down." Elias says in German. He knows I know some German thanks to my studying in the country.

"Hündin I'm faster than you." I reply in his native tongue, making him laugh.

Meghan takes off with Elias and I running next to her. "Did you see some of the new people Harry brought in?"

"That private military company?" The German scoffs. "Yeah I'm aware."

"Eliza's not too pleased."

"Why should she be? An organization with no higher power comes in just because they saved a ship. Of course Eliza's not gonna be happy."

"It's Eliza. She's never happy." I chip in.

"You can relate?"

"Most of the time yes."