Chapter Three

Monday 15 June 1998

Draco

I anxiously pace in my room, waiting for my uncle to arrive. He sent a letter back to my mother almost immediately, saying that he'd be happy to help. He'll be staying for a week or so, as long as I'm right and I am dominant. If I'm not, which won't happen, he will stay for the summer, along with his mate, and teach me how to be a sub.

I honestly don't know why I'm so nervous to meet them. I know who I am, what I am, so this should just be a mild inconvenience. Except it's not.

Because you know, deep down, that I'm right.

Shut up, Alex! You're not right! I hear you whimper in my head. I realised pretty quickly that you don't like being yelled at. I'm sorry. I just... I'm on edge.

Why do you not want to be a sub? You sound almost insulted. If you were anyone else I wouldn't tell you, but the thing about having someone in your head is that you can't hide anything from them. My father. If I was a sub, I would disappoint him. I know he's in Azkaban, I know, but...

Oh, Draco. If he cares about something so superficial, he obviously wasn't the best father.

My father is a great man!

Maybe so, but fathers shouldn't make chicks feel inferior for something out of their control. There's nothing wrong with being a sub, Draco. It means we get a strong, capable mate who will protect us and care for us forever. It means we get to nest and carry our chicks. Don't you want that? The picture you paint... I can't help but yearn for it.

I shake my head. What am I thinking! Of course I don't want that! I want to be the strong, capable one, I want to protect my mate and chicks. Of course I do. I do. That's what I want. It is. I want that.

Draco...

The doorbell rings. It's my uncle. I hear my mother answer the door through my open window, and hear their conversation with my advanced Veela hearing.

"Hi! I'm Narcissa, it's so nice to finally meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too. I'm Michael, and this is my mate, Emma."

"Thank you so much for coming, it means so much to me."

"Of course! When I got your letter, I... well, it's about time I got to meet my nephew and his mother." There's something deeper there, but I can't work out what.

Mother is silent for a moment, before saying, slightly quieter than before, "Well, come in, make yourselves at home. I'll get my... Draco." They enter the house, and soon enough I hear my mother's footsteps outside my door. "Draco, honey? Your uncle's here." I take a deep breath. Right. Okay. Let's go.

As soon as I walk into the living room, I suddenly feel like I'm wading through mud; every one of my movements takes effort. My uncle sits on the sofa, his mate tucked into his side, and it astonishes me how much he resembles my father. His platinum blonde hair is cut short, likely the only difference, and his bone structure is refined and pointed. He is tall, even sitting, and muscled. But he does not seem sharp and cold like my father, instead, he has a warm, calm air about him. He smiles at me, and I feel myself smile back.

There's something in me drawing me to him, and I realise it's you.

He's family.

You sound like it's some sort of revelation. We knew that before, Alex.

I know, but... he's family, and it's taken you this long to meet him?

I don't under-

He's family! They're family!