Chapter Thirteen

Wednesday 2 September 1998

Draco

When I wake up, the first thing I notice is that my mate-pains are worse, and the second is that you are sad. Almost unbearably so. What's wrong, Alex?

You don't say anything, just whimper, and I can tell I'm not going to get a response out of you.

The third is that I feel... different. Even more submissive than normal. Like being around my mate, even in a dream, has enhanced my already timid and obedient nature.

"You're awake." It's Blaise. He must've stayed with me whilst I slept. I nod. Like you, I don't feel like talking. "It's almost dinner. Do you want to go down to the hall?" I shake my head no. "You sure? I don't want you cooped up here forever." For a second I think he's unhappy with me, and it terrifies me. I must look like it too, because he immediately comforts me. "Hey, it's okay. You haven't done anything wrong. Stay as long as you need, but only need, okay?" I nod my head yes. "Good sub." I let out a chirp, and blush at the sound.

"Mateo wants to hunt." Like birds of prey, which most Veela are related to, we need to hunt on a regular basis, particularly doms. "Do you mind if we catch something for you instead of grab something from the hall?" I shake my head no, I don't mind. "Okay. I'll be back in a while. Sure you don't want to come?" I nod, and he releases his wings and leaps out of the window.

I curl up in my makeshift nest, but I can't help but hate it. I didn't spend time on it, for one, and it's not the right shape at all. It's only made of my duvet and comforter as well, so only smells like me, when it should have something from everyone I care about. And a lot from my mate. It should scent more like him than me, and I hate that it doesn't. The worst thing, though, is that he's not in it. A nest is something to be shared, and alone it feels empty, making my mate-pains even worse, and making you even more upset.

Eventually I can't take it anymore and I need to get out. Not just of my 'nest', but of the dorm. It's suddenly become stifling in here.

I find myself in the library. There are a couple of people clearing up, but it's mostly empty. I keep my head down, so focused on not drawing attention to myself that I don't even notice I have until shadows are cast over the table. I look up, careful not to make eye contact, and recognise three seventh year Gryffindors.

I don't say anything, letting them speak first as a sign of respect they probably won't even recognise.

"Not so tough now, are you, you Death Eater piece of shit!" I wince, and you practically whither.

"Shouldn't be allowed to roam free after what you did. But I guess you're too pathetic to do anything now aren't you, submissive?"

"I..."

"Shut you mouth! You deserve to pay for what you and your family did!" I try to apologise, before realising he told me to be quiet. When he realises I'm not going to say anything, he punches me, and pain blossoms across my face. I rear back, trying to occupy as little space as possible, and involuntarily let out a loud whimper.

"Look how pathetic he is, can't even stand up for himself. Probably realised he fucking deserved it!"

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" A new voice. The Gryffindors turn, revealing a dominant fire elf. He's a Hufflepuff from my year, the one Blaise spoke to on the train. I think his name is Macmillan. And he looks angry. His eyes are a flaming red and there's flames on the tips of his fingers.

"Teaching this piece of shit a lesson that he should've learnt a long time ago."

"Well, if you don't fuck off, I'll shove that lesson so far up your arse you'll taste it."