Chapter Four

Friday 31 July 1998

Harry

When I get back to the house, much faster after my inheritance, I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror as I tip-toe across the landing, and pause. I look different. It's nothing drastic, I'm still myself, but I'm definitely taller, maybe even taller than Ron, at least 6"3'. My hair is longer, and my eyes seem even greener. I'm stronger, too, my muscles more defined even through the shirt I'm wearing. I look good.

I make my way to Ron's room, which we've been sharing this summer, and pull out a quill, ink, and parchment, and begin writing to Lupin.

Lupin,

I don't really know how to start, so I'm just going to: I came into my inheritance. My werewolf inheritance, that is. Why no one ever informed me of said inheritance is confusing, but that is besides the point.

My wolf told me that I was meant to be trained by a pack, however as I lived with the Dursleys, which I shouldn't have, I haven't been. Essentially, I am writing to ask if you could train me. If not, I understand, but if you could refer me to someone who could it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Harry Potter.

I unlock Bernie's cage, having received the key after last year's birthday, and attach the letter to his leg. It occurs to me whilst doing this that I should probably write to Hermione as well, who has been staying with her parents this summer to help them get their memories back, so I ask Bernie to please wait. Bernie's much like Hedwig in the fact he requires a polite owner.

Hermione,

So, today's my birthday, and you'll never guess, but I just went through an inheritance. I guess I'm a werewolf! It's not like Lupin, though, apparently there are inherited werewolves too, which are pretty different. I'm sure you know all about it from your books, but I apparently have a very literal wolf half. His name is Eli, he basically told me everything I need to know.

Before you start fretting, because I know you, 'Mione, I've written to Lupin. Apparently, I need some sort of training, and as I didn't grow up in a 'pack', I never received it. I've asked Lupin to help me, hopefully he replies soon. I'll keep you posted,

Harry

I tie the second letter to Bernie's leg.

"Sorry it's kind of heavy, and that you might have to go a long way." He chirps. "One is for Remus Lupin, and the other for Hermione Granger." He chirps again, and I open the window and watch him fly away. I've never understood how owls always seem to know where they're going, but I don't question it. If I questioned everything I didn't understand about the Wizarding world I would never escape Hermione's explanations.

I lie down, seeing nothing better to do than sleep whilst I wait for their replies.

---

The next day, I wake up bombarded with 'happy birthday's from Ron. I go on to explain my inheritance, at least what I know about it, and he's really supportive, unsurprisingly, which boosts my confidence a bit. We head downstairs and tell the rest of the family, minus Ginny, who's been doing work experience at the ministry all summer, so isn't here. The Weasleys are wonderful about my inheritance, hugging and congratulating me. It strikes me for the hundredth time in my life how glad I am to have found them.

Wow, this is a great family, huh? I mean, for wizards, you say.

You could say that again.

—-

A couple of days later, I wake up to a tapping on my window. I quickly let Bernie in, as I know he doesn't appreciate being left in the cold, and give him a treat as thanks. I expect letters, but he also carries a rather large package.