Chapter Ten

Wednesday 2 September 1998

Harry

I appreciate the effort, I really do. After all, it's important for regular wizards to learn about the different inheritances and how to act around people who get them. But I would really rather not be here. I do, afterall, know everything they are saying and more. And with such a good alternative (spending time in a mate dream with my mate, for example), I would give anything to not be here right now.

However, it's interesting to see who has an inheritance, and I pay attention for that reason. Being a small year, there weren't that many; only two from Hufflepuff (Ernie Macmillan, a dominant fire elf and Zacharias Smith, a dominant coraniaid) and two Ravenclaw (Terry Boot, a submissive vampire and Morag Macdougal, a sub draconi). I try to catch Terry and Morag's eyes to see if either of them are my mate, but can't, as they're both looking down.

I'm the only one who goes up when they ask for werewolves, and it puts me on edge. I don't like being paraded in front of everyone, and I especially don't like that they would do this to subs, who would probably be scared out of their minds.

They point out my distinguishing features, although it's mostly in how I behave rather than my appearance. The woman then asks me in a hushed voice whether I trust my wolf enough to turn here.

If I give you control, you can't do anything, okay? Just grin and bare it, it will probably end up in fewer annoying questions later.

Fine, but I can't promise not to give them a scare. I don't being treated like a prize dog.

As long as you don't hurt anyone. I nod to the woman, and head out a side door to strip down before giving you control.

You plod back into the main hall, and immediately growl at the woman, baring your teeth, but don't hurt her. Both speakers gawk at your sheer size, and the hall breaks into nervous muttering.

You turn away, not listening to whatever the women starts saying, sniffing the air. What are you doing?

Trying to find mate.

You think they're here?

Maybe. I don't know, there are too many scents. I'll have to walk around the room.

Don't do that. We'll come into contact with whoever it could be soon enough. This isn't a good place to meet them, after all, wouldn't you rather we be in private? You grin wolfishly at the thought of having our mate to yourself, and I take that as agreement.

Eventually, they let us go, so you head back out the side door and give me control back. I change again and head back to my seat.

They start talking about Veelas next,  and Malfoy and his friend Zabini stand up. And oh Merlin, Ron was right; Malfoy's a sub. Not just that, he's incredibly submissive. He looks to Zabini before standing, and keeps his head ducked, and arms wrapped around his waist. He's obviously scared as well, not that I'm surprised. As Ron revealed on the train, many will probably take advantage of his submissiveness. And Zabini looks completely on guard, glaring at anyone in his vicinity who so much as looks at Malfoy.

And I want to do the same.

The thought catches me off guard, but it shouldn't; it's in my nature to help subs, especially those as submissive and scared as Malfoy, no matter who they are. Even so, I didn't expect to feel... like this. It's almost overwhelming how much I want to go over there and make sure he never feels as scared again, and you're even worse than I am: your thoughts aren't even coherent, just single words growled at me.

Eli, calm down. Look, Zabini will protect him, and no one's going to hurt him. If I go up now, it will just make everyone confused and he'll probably be made fun of for needing my help. There's nothing we can do, so just calm down, okay?