Chapter Fourteen

Saturday 12 September 1998

Harry

The first two weeks of school go by in a blur. Lessons have become almost ridiculously hard (transfiguration with the new teacher, Professor Byrd; herbology with Sprout; charms with Flitwick; potions with Slughorn; and defence with the new Professor Trengove). The new teachers are pretty good; although Byrd doesn't measure up to McGonagall and gives obscene amounts of work, Trengove is one of the best defence teachers we've had. Not as good as Re, obviously, but better than anyone else.

More importantly, I've had seven more mate dreams, during which my mate seemed equally as reluctant to interact with me as before. And every morning, I've woken up in more and more pain.

However, this morning you appear to be deliriously happy.

I met him!

What?

Our mate's creature, I met him! He's wonderful, Harry, the best mate I could ask for; he's really shy and timid and adorable and he's super submissive but in the best way possible and he fits perfectly into my arms and I think I love him already, I really do, and-

Woah, slow down. You met his creature, so does that mean he's not a regular wizard?

No, he has to have had an inheritance, or be a bitten wolf or something like that.

So what creature was he?

I don't know, I... I can't remember. But his name is Alex, and he's beautiful.

What does he look like?

You're silent for a while, trying to remember. I realise that whilst the dreams restrict me from finding out too much about my mate, they simply make you forget. And you feel upset about that.

Why can't I remember? I love him more than anything else in the world, and I can't even remember what he looks like? What kind of a mate am I if I don't-

Stop. It's not your fault, it's a side effect of the dreams. That's what's making you forget, not you.

Really? You're sure?

Fairly. It would make sense; the mate dreams don't let me learn anything about him, revealing one thing at a time. If you remembered what he looked like, it would kind of defeat the purpose.

Right, okay. That does makes sense. Still, I wish I could remember. He is gorgeous, though, I remember that much.

Exactly. Plus, even if we don't know what he looks like, it's still narrowed down! There are only a few male subs in the school-

He's not necessarily in the school. There are creatures in the forest, too, remember? We've met the wolves, and there'll be loads more forest dwellers: forest lords, nature elves, dryads, water spirits, satyrs... and that's not even counting those in the Great Lake-

Okay, okay. I was wrong, I get it. Shit. What are we going to do?

We could go down to the forest? The Alpha said we could hunt with the pack, and if he belongs to the pack...

They won't start hunting until sundown, idiot. There's no point in going down until then, and besides, I've got work to do today. I left all my homework until this weekend, and now I have heaps of it. Just because I'm a werewolf doesn't mean I don't take my N.E.W.T.s.

Do your exams really matter?

If I don't get good grades I won't get a job. How will I provide for our mate then?

You groan, but agree, so I get changed and head down to the common room to get started on a transfiguration essay.

After thirty minutes or so, Hermione comes down and after telling her about your mate dream, we start working on the essay together. I know I say it a lot, but thank Merlin for Hermione. Half my essay would be wrong if she hadn't helped.

By the time lunch roles around, I'm starving and the mate pains have got worse even since this morning. It's still not sharp pains yet; some people go years without their mate and have to cope; but every breath I take makes my chest ache.

I head up to the dorms to get Ron, who, surprise surprise, is still sleeping. I wake him up, wait for him to get ready (which for Ron is just shrugging on some casual robes) and we head down to the great hall.

Half way there, we meet Zabini and Nev.

"Harry! Where have you been?"

"Catching up on work. Can't believe Byrd set us such a hard essay second week back, Merlin."

"Ugh," Zabini groans, "don't remind me. Still haven't even started that."

You should ask about his sub friend.

Draco?

Yeah. Make sure he's okay.

You're a bit obsessed with him, aren't you?

You huff, your pride wounded. But you're kind of right anyway.

"Hey, Zabini, is Draco okay?"

"He's fine. Still... you know, but fine."

Ask to see him. Need to make sure sub's okay.

"Still think he wouldn't want to see me?" Zabini sighs. What does that mean? Is that bad?

"He doesn't want to, but I'm starting to think maybe he needs to. I don't know."

"What do you mean?" I probably sound more panicked than I should. I find I don't particularly care.

"I get that he's scared, I understand why. I thought he just needed time, but now I'm not so sure. It doesn't seem like he even wants to find his mate; I didn't even know he was having mate dreams until his Veela told me this morning. He's paranoid that everyone still hates him, that any dom is going to abuse their power over him. Sometimes I think seeing you would actually be good for him."

Don't hate him, no, have to help, poor, poor sub, make him happy, need to make sub okay.

"So should I go see him?"

Blaise looks to Neville.

"I think you should, but not without telling him." Neville says. "It might be too much if you burst in with no warning. Maybe tomorrow, after breakfast?"

Yes! Tomorrow, good, can see sub, make sure sub's okay, that's good, say yes.

"Okay, I can do that."

I grin.

Tomorrow.

1021 words