Chapter Twenty Three

Sunday 13 September 1998

Draco

When he - my mate, Merlin, my mate - pulls away, it's like I'm breathing for the first time. Like I've lived a forever underwater amongst the fucking Grindylows, and now I'm here and my lungs work and I don't have to choke anymore. His arms wrap tightly around my waist and forehead rests against mine, still so close that I can feel his breath on my mouth.

"You okay?"

Yes, yes, more than, so happy, love him, our mate, Draco!

"I-I think so?"

He starts caressing my hip with his thumb, and something inside me snaps. Or, rather, something inside you. Because all of a sudden I'm pushed straight to the back of our mind and watching as you fall into my skin.

You're grinning, almost maniacally, before practically collapsing against him, my mate - our mate - right, our mate, burying your face into his strong chest, wrapping your legs around his waist and arms around his neck.

"Oh, hi, sweetheart." You chirp loudly.

He knows it's me, he called me sweetheart, he likes me, mate, dominant!

Harry chuckles. "And are you okay?" You nod wildly against his chest, your thoughts a blur of glee. "It's kind of hard on the ground, huh? You want to go back to the castle?"

No... there'll be people there. And I'm covered in blood, and they'll stare, and... and if I go in with Harry they'll hate me, a death eater and the chosen one, no, no... and Blaise won't know why I ran, he'll be angry even if Harry wasn't, and-

"Hey, you okay?" I realise that you're shaking, and that in my spiral of thoughts I've blocked yours out. And they're almost worse.

- take us away, I need my mate, they'll take me away from him, no, no, no-

I watch out of your unseeing eyes as Harry frowns softly, raising a hand to stroke your face gently, lovingly. "'Lexie, sweetheart, what's up?"

He's talking to you, 'Lex.

To me, mate is talking to me?

You cock your head at him to repeat the question, and he chuckles. Just that sound makes me forget why I was upset in the first place. Was I even? How could anything possibly be bad when my dominant is making that noise?

"Are you okay, you're practically shaking?"

You whimper. Why? He chuckled; what's there to whimper about?

He gave you permission to talk, not me.

Oh. Of course, I'm such an idiot, Merlin, if that had been me I would have made that mistake, he would have hated me forever, what an idiot!

"Talk to me, love, let me in. What's going on?"

Love!

"People in the castle. Don't want people, just you." He beams, and so do you, and so would I if I had control because I can't get over how gorgeous my mate is when he smiles. I want to keep him smiling forever.

Our mate is happy. It is good.

"We can be alone in the castle, 'Lexie,"

'Lexie, 'Lexie, 'Lexie, like Eli called me, he called me 'Lexie, Draco, did you hear?

I heard.

"If you want we can go up to my dorm and I'll keep you there forever, just us, my precious treasure."