Chapter Twenty Four

Sunday 13 September 1997

Harry

I take my mate, who is still crying softly into my shoulder, upstairs to his dorm, remembering which one it is from this morning. I didn't get a good look at it earlier, distracted by Draco, but now my eyes are immediately drawn to his bed.

I know it's his because it's not a bed, not really. It's a nest. And for some inexplicable reason, just the sight of it leaves me breathless. I don't know why; it's clearly imperfect- rushed and unfinished. It's the vague shape of a nest and filled only with school supplied bedsheets, pillows, and a duvet. But it's my mate's nest, and it's all I can do not to crawl into it and stay their forever.

Do it Harry, please, nest-

But a chocked sob flying out of Draco's mouth makes me turn away, focusing again on the love of my life.

"What's wrong, sweetheart? Talk to me."

"Please, don't look at it, I forgot, I'm sorry, I'll make it better, I just need time-" For a moment I'm confused, then I realise he's referring to the nest. It must be like... I don't know. I guess I'll never know. Because a nest is who a submissive is, it shows who they are, what they like, who they love. A nest reveals more about a sub than almost anything, and having someone as important as a mate see one that is unfinished must be mortifying.

"It's fine, I know it's unfinished, love, I'm not paying attention to it, I promise. It's alright."

But, nest?

Just wait a while longer, Eli. Let him finish. Then we can spend a forever in it.

"You're not looking?"

"No, I've already forgotten. I'll only look properly when you're finished, okay?" He breathes a sigh of relief. "There you go, you're so good for me, Draco." He keens, subconsciously rubbing his cheek across my scent gland. Pre-marking me. I practically melt. But then I remember-

"This wasn't what was wrong in the common room. What happened then?" He stops abruptly, lifting his head so I can see his widened eyes as he remembers.

"I worried Blaise and the others, made them feel bad. It was stupid and selfish and I'm really really sorry." I frown. It wasn't selfish, it was fear and sadness. Those are different things.

"When you flew away, did you intend to stay out all day?"

"N-no, I was going to come back."

"And did you know it would worry them?"

"No..."

"And did you want to go?"

"No, I thought you wanted me to. I- I wanted to stay with you."

"Then that's the opposite of selfish, my love. You were doing what you thought I wanted, and you didn't mean to hurt anyone. That's selfless, Draco."

"Oh."

"And even if it was, you've apologised. You realised your mistake, and you won't do it again, right?"