Chapter 9 (Edited)

"Martha," John called out, from somewhere close by the hole.

It was late, probably around 10pm. The area that we were in was kind of dim, but we could still see. It was as if the ceiling glowed in the dark. The ceiling was this glowing goldish color, making everything look gold.

Outside, there were sounds of crickets and other night creatures, waking up. And, I realized that this was my first time to being out in the backyard to fall asleep. I usually went back to my bed and sleep there. Sometimes, Brody came into my room and slept with me, curled up at the foot of my bed.

I had been falling asleep, so when he had called out, I flinched and woke up. I looked at Faolon, to see that his eyes were closed, so I didn't know if I could ask him if John could bring my stuff. So, I came up with a plan, that I knew might help me and him out. "Coming," I said, throwing my voice out of the cave. I was trying to confuse him of my whereabouts, since I was good at it.

"Don't do that," he said. There was a scowl in his voice. "I don't know where you're actually at.

I turned my gem to the right and closed my eyes, letting myself the bliss as my body shifted into my wolf form. After a few seconds, I opened my eyes and stood, shaking out my fur. "And, why not?" I asked, again throwing my voice.

"Because, it makes me think you are somewhere else." There was a bit of annoyance in his voice. "Now, where are you?"

"Turn away and close your eyes," I said, throwing my voice a third time. I placed my front paws on the opening and pulled myself up. I started to scramble out of the hole, knocking some dirt on my head, which was annoying.

John sighed, and I could tell that he had shook his head. "Why?" he asked. However, I knew him, and I knew that he had turned away from the hole, because I had "asked" him to do it.

I made it out of the hole, only showing my head. I looked around silently and saw that he was alone. Quietly, I got out of the hole and moved to the left of it, trying to make it look like that I didn't get out of it. "Because, I want you to," I replied, startling him.

John jumped and turned towards me. His ears were flat against his head and he bared his teeth, surprised. "Martha!" he exclaimed.

"That's my name. Don't wear it out," I replied, wagging my tail. I gave him a wolf grin, while I looked at him.

He shook his head and chuckled. "Where did you come from?"

"Around."

"From the hole that is a couple of places towards your right?" He nodded towards it.

"Maybe."

"I know that you did." He gave me a knowing look. It was as if he had been there before.

I narrowed my eyes while I looked at him. "And, how do you know that?"

He smiled mischievously and shook his head. He wasn't going to tell me, and I knew that it might be because we were out in the forest, and there could be other wolves around.  "Here is your sleeping bag and a bag that has extra clothes in it," he said, changing the subject. "It should last you about a week.

I smiled and nodded my head in thanks. "Thanks, Bro. I really appreciate you helping me out."

John nodded his head in welcome. A frown appeared on his face, while he cocked his head, confused about something. "Brody said that you told him that Faolon is dead?" There was a question in his voice, because he probably didn't believe that it was true.

"He assumes that he is. I said 'no, Faolon is not dead'. And, he assumed that he was." I shook my head and sighed. "It didn't help that I was carrying him or the fact that Faolon wasn't moving."

"So, he is not dead?"

"Don't you dare play with me, John," I growled, teasingly and got ready to pounce.

John laughed and nodded his head. "Alright, I won't play with you about it. Oh, and besides Mom says for you to behave."

"Tell her I am not making any promises."

"That's what I told her you would say, if she had told you to behave."

John knew me too well, sometimes. I smiled, before glaring at him teasingly. "You do you realize that you had woken me up. Right?"

John nodded his head. He glanced at the sky, calculating the time before looking back at me. "Well, I got to go. Good night, Martha, and have pleasant dreams."

"Night."

He smiled and left, not saying another word. Before he disappeared, he turned to look at me and nodded his head. Again, he turned back toward the woods and ran off.

I sighed and watched him leave, feeling a sense of aloneness coming on me. It would be my first time not sleeping with a family member or in a familiar place, because I had stopped sleeping over at people's houses at the age of 13. I had found out that it was "dangerous" for me and that I wouldn't be protected if I did. "See ya, bro," I said, softly. And with that, I walked over to where John had placed my bag and sleeping bag.

I grabbed them both, glad that John had tied the sleeping bag onto the bag and started to pull them towards the hole, knowing that that was where I would be sleeping for as long as I thought Faolon needed my help.