10. Harry's First Game

hopefully disaster
won't ensue

ϟ

"Ron, did you kill it?" exclaimed Perry.

"Who cares," Harry muttered sitting up from the ground.

"Perry, you should really be thanking me right now," Ron said brushing dust from his shoulders.

"May I remind you if it wasn't for you we wouldn't be in this situation right now," Perry said grabbing Harry's wand out of the trolls nose.

Ron opened his mouth to form an apology to Hermione, but unfortunately he could not find the words. When he finally mustered up the courage to mutter an "Uhh" the four students could hear something echoing in the hallway. At first they thought another troll was coming after them. Perry rose her wand at the door, followed by Harry, then Hermione, and with a sigh, Ron.

The door burst open and each of them went pale when they saw those who had entered. Each of the children lowered their wands when they saw the stern faces of Professor McGonagall and Professor Snape. They were accompanied by Professor Quirrel who had a terrified expression written across his features.

Without a word, Professor Snape whisked over to the troll to examine it. Professor McGonagall was a different story. She stared intently at the children with a look of astonishment and disapproval laced into her features. Quirrel, on the other hand, took one look at the troll and let out a dog-like whimper.

"What on earth were you thinking of?" Professor McGonagall screeched. "You're lucky you weren't killed! Why weren't you in your dormitories?"

"Please Professor McGonagall— they were looking for me."

"Miss Granger!"

Perry's mouth gaped open ever so slightly when she heard the lie that Hermione told. She closed it quickly so that the Professors wouldn't catch it and question her.

"I went looking for the troll because I— I thought I could deal with it on my own— you know, because I've read all about them. If they hadn't found me, I'd be dead now. Harry stuck his wand up its nose and Ron knocked it out with its own club—and—and Perry helped me escape from the troll. They didn't have time to come and fetch anyone. It was about to finish me off when they arrived."

"And Miss Persephone," Professor McGonagall questioned, "I don't remember seeing you during supper."

"Yes, Professor, I-"

"She saw me running into the bathroom and came to check on me," Hermione cut in. "She was working on her History of Magic essay, that I was supposed to help her with, and was making her way back, but when she saw me she came running after me to make sure everything was okay. Of course, she didn't know about the troll, so that came at quite a surprise—"

"Okay, enough, Miss Granger," Professor McGonagall cut her off. "Miss Granger, five points will be taken from Gryffindor for this. I'm very disappointed in you. If you're not hurt at all, you'd better get off to Gryffindor Tower. Students are finishing the feast in their Houses."

"Well, I still say you were lucky, but not many first years could have taken on a full-grown mountain troll. You each win your houses five points. Professor Dumbledore will be informed of this. As for my students, you may go."

The three Gryffindors turned to look at Persephone with concerned expressions. She forced a smile onto her face to try and reassure them she was fine. Harry could physically feel the anxiety from Persephone.

"Miss Persephone," Professor Snape drawled out, "Usually I would not hesitate to give students of Slytherin House detention for such actions—" Persephone let her head drop and her eyes fall to her feet— "But—" Persephone looked up— "Because of certain circumstances I will leave you with a warning. Professor Quirrel, would you accompany Miss Persephone back to the Slytherin dormitories."