31. Lockhart's Office

it's a rumor
a legend
a mystery

ϟ

"My cat! My cat! What happened to Mrs. Norris?"

Filch's eyes wandered across from his cat to the writing. He looked as if he were about to cry while he read over the message written on the wall. Within seconds his expression turned from a sad man to one who wanted to rip the heads off of a few children in front of him.

His cold eyes glared at Harry and Perry while he shouted, "You two! You've murdered my cat! You've killed her! I'll kill you! I'll—"

"Argus!"

Dumbledore, accompanied by a chorus of teachers, had arrived on the scene. His glassy eyes moved back and forth across the words written in red, and something in his memory clicked. Perry was shaking visibly in front of the wall. Her breaths were coming quick as she was terrified that Dumbledore thought it was her and Harry who did this. She was still thankful for him coming to her rescue, because it's no doubt that Filch would have actually strangled them.

"Come with me, Argus," he ordered to Filch, not in a nasty tone, but in patient one. His calm demeanor shocked Perry slightly. "You as well, Miss Persephone, Mr. Potter, Miss Parkinson, Mr. Weasley, and Miss Granger."

Perry felt her heart drop as the students in the corridors began to engage in conversation and shuffle around. With Filch? In a room with the man who just said he wanted to kill them for an act they didn't commit?

Perry's wild thoughts were cut off by none other than Gilderoy Lockhart, who leaped forward eagerly with something to say.

"My Office is nearest, Headmaster — just upstairs — please feel free —"

"Thank you, Gilderoy," said Dumbledore calmly.

Dumbledore spun on his heel and turned around. He began walking straight at the crowd of students, who in turn began to part like the Red Sea. They watched wide eyed and silent as a quiet Dumbledore, a bouncy Lockhart, and an assortment of sorrowful teachers and the called for students followed after him. Perry bit down on the inside of her cheek while using all her willpower to keep herself from physically shaking.

The five students walked beside each other in silence. Each of their heads were spinning in conspiracies and speculation. The rest of the school may think they put the message on the wall, but they knew it wasn't them. That being said, who did put the writing on the wall?

Harry grabbed Perry's hand as they began to walk up the stairs towards Lockhart's office. He could feel her panic deep within his bones, and it saddened him to see just how much the opinions of others effected her. He gave her a reassuring squeeze and a slight smile in an attempt to make her feel better about the situation.

Perry wanted to curl up into a ball and never move, become some relic in the corner that future generations of witches and wizards refer to as the frozen girl. Sadly, that wasn't allowed. She hesitated to enter Lockhart's office, but Viktorija gave her a reassuring, yet forceful, push from behind while Harry tugged on her hand.

Viktorija wasn't freaking out as much as her best friend. In all fairness, she was happy she hadn't been left behind in the Slytherin common room and missed all of this.

Inside Lockhart's office, portraits of the man ran crazy from canvas to canvas, trying to hide themselves from view. All of them were wearing glamorous nightgowns and had their hair in rollers. The image of them dashing around made Perry a little calmer, and definitely a little happier. Viktorija had to fight the urge not to burst into tears of laughter as she watched the men in the portraits run into each other and try to hide behind each other.