21. The Philospher's Stone

yes it's risky
a lot more
than usual

ϟ

"Drink it, Harry," Perry offered.

"No," he insisted. "You're better at these kinds of things."

"Harry," she said putting the flask in his hand. "My ankle's still sore from chess; I can't be limping trying to catch Snape. It has to be you."

He held the flask in his hand. He looked at Perry and then to Hermione.

"You're sure it's not enough for two?" Harry asked.

"I'm sure," Hermione said.

"I'm sure too," Perry agreed.

"I'm going to go check on Ron," Hermione said excusing herself.

Once she was gone Harry turned to Perry. She had a scratch along her forehead and her hair was a mess, not to mention her surly sprained ankle.

"Hey, you're like me now," he said putting two fingers right on the borders of her forehead gash.

"You're stalling," she said with a smile.

"I am n—"

"You are," she said with a nod.

"I'm— I'm scared, Pare-Bear," he whispered. "I'm really scared."

"And that's okay," she said pulling him into a hug. "I'm going to be right on the other side of the fire." She pulled out of the hug. "And I'm going to be right here—" she tapped him on the forehead. "And here—" she said poking him in the chest.

"I love you, Pare-Bear, and if I don't make it back th—"

"Stop it," she interrupted. "You're going to be right back here holding that stone in no time." She kissed him right on his scar like she used to do when they were infants. "I love you more than you can imagine."

She walked him up close to the fire holding his hand. She nodded to him and he pulled a wary face. He flicked open the flask and downed it in one.

"I'm not as good as you, Perry," he said.

"You're a great wizard, Harry. You can do it." She gave him a push on the back and he walked through the fire.

She watched as he disappeared into the flames. All she could do was wonder. She stared into the flames but she could never see through them. She was standing so close but she didn't feel the heat.

She didn't know how long she had been standing there. Minutes? Seconds? Hours? She kept staring into the flame trying to talk to Harry. No matter how much she reached out to him, she couldn't get through. She kept staring through the flames.

Perry stumbled back in surprise. Could she have really seen what she just thought she saw? She bent forward to look closer at the flames. There. She saw it again. She reached her hand out as she stepped forward to the fire. The flames danced across her hand as she reached out for a flaming hand. The flaming hand kept backing away and she kept walking forward to grab it.