13. First Christmas

one step at a time
one hope, then another

ϟ

Only three students, including Perry, stayed for the holiday in Slytherin. One seventh year, one fifth year, and little first year Persephone. This kept Perry out of the Slytherin common room and dormitory as much as manageable.

Viktorija had to go home for the holidays even after begging her parents to let her stay at Hogwarts. Alana and Cedric left to spend Christmas with their families. Hermione left as well. Perry only had Harry and the other Weasleys to keep herself occupied with.

Fred and George took her around so many part of the castle she didn't know about, Ron taught her and Harry how to play wizard chess, and with Harry she mainly just enjoyed having him by her side. She also drew a lot. For once she could go around the whole school and not worry about being disturbed.

It was two days till Christmas and Perry found herself in the library looking for any trace of a Nicholas Flamel. She searched for two hours and had no luck. How was it she remembered his name but not the book she read it in?

"Need any help, dearie," Madam Pince, the librarian, asked her as she searched the shelves.

"No thank you, Madam Pince," Perry said with a smile, "I'm just looking around."

Madam Pince smiled at the girl and retreated back to her desk. Perry watched as she went, letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding. She couldn't ask any of the professors for help, although she wanted to. If she did, she knew they'd catch on immediately and most likely expel her for finding out about the situation.

So she searched by herself for a few hours. Then she had an idea. She ran up to Madam Pince.

"Hello, Madam Pince," she said smiling still, "On second thought, could you help me?"

"Of course, dearie," Madam Pince replied. "I'm so happy that someone is using my library over the holiday!"

Perry smiled at the lanky woman. She had thankfully gotten on her good side. It was probably because Cedric was on her good side and Madam Pince always sees her with Cedric in the library.

"Now what do you need to know," she said walking out from behind her desk.

"I'm doing some research on Dumbledore for a History of Magic Paper coming up," she said, "And I was hoping—"

"You were hoping I could help you pick a book out," she interrupted. "Well of course I can. I know what book is perfect for every topic. What is your topic?"

"Well, I haven't decided that yet," Perry said. "I was hoping to just learn about his life right now, and then pick what I find most interesting later. After all I still have a lot of time until the paper is due."

"Okay," she said. "Your going to need a lot of information then. Follow me."

She walked down multiple isles tapping her fingers along books before pulling one out. Currently she held a medium sized, red leather, hard back book and a small, blue smooth, hard back book in her hands. She stopped in front of the final shelf and pulled out a huge, brown leather, hard back book.

"Inventions of the Past Century, Greatest wizards of the Past Century, and A History of Magic," she said placing each of the books on her table as she said them.

She opened up her own book and began to write.

"These will be due," she said, before looking up at Perry, "You know what, Merry Christmas Miss Persephone, return these when you're done."