𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐛𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐧

-

-

I SAT IN STUDY HALL, head down as I attempted to be invisible, not wanting to deal with anything else today. My phone was going off repeatedly, with messages from Nano, Christian, and Samuel appearing on the lock screen. I shook my head, turning my phone over on the table before continuing to read my study book, trying to distract myself. Only one hour left of school, and yet it felt like a lifetime.

My stomach rumbled as I recalled the sweets I had put in my locker just hours before, and I resisted the urge to get up and retrieve them as I knew along the way I was bound to run into someone I didn't want to deal with. I looked around the room, daydreaming out the window, until my eyes fell to Christian who stood flirting with Carla, and my jaw dropped slightly at the sight. I don't know what I was expecting. I laughed softly to myself, almost inaudibly, as I stood up and began packing my things away. As I headed for the door in a slightly rushed manner, I noticed the pair throw a glance my way, but I continued on my way to my locker where I knew my snacks were waiting for me. And, of course, food solves all problems. Also a few joints. Which describes my after-school plans quite simply.

I felt my phone vibrate bedside me, and I debated whether or not to answer, before swiping to accept the call. Nano's voice could be heard through the phone as he began asking once again if I would meet him, questioning why I hadn't answered him all day. I heard the desperation in his voice as he pleaded with me to talk to him, and I sighed, giving in.

"Nano, what do you want? I'm at Las Encinas." I spoke loudly as I reached a less populated corridor, where my conversation may be more private. "You haven't answered my messages or my calls. I want to talk to you. Please, can we meet up later? I'll pick you up from school if you want?" I groaned as he continued on, before finally agreeing that we could hang out.

"Fine! Pick me up in-" I glanced at the time, noticing there were only thirty minutes left until we could leave. "Thirty minutes. If you are late, I'm not coming." I said boldly, before hanging up the phone, not really worried about what else he had to say. I don't even know what he wanted to talk about, it's quite simple. He fucked Marina. What more is there to say? I haven't even known him very long, so I guess he owes me no explanation.

Slowly, I walk to my locker, avoid everyone's judgmental eyes as most people still looked at me as the scholarship student, which basically meant they looked at me like I was another species. I grabbed the snacks from my bag, and went to go sit outside on the grass, which I found out was allowed since we were on free period- not that it mattered, I probably would have done it anyway. As I reach the front of the school and walked outside, I notice that everyone I had been avoiding was out here. Nevertheless, I continued to the grass, one earphone in.

Looking around me, I saw Carla and Christian flirting again, with Carla staring right at me as if to prove something. I shook my head at her, before moving my attention to Ander, Polo, and Guzmán, who was staring at the pair, until Ander noticed me, and pointed in my direction. The boys focus then switched between the pair of them and me, and I saw the annoyed look on Guzmán's face as he glanced back at Christian who didn't seem to even notice I was there. He muttered something to the boys; something I couldn't understand, but then they walked over to the pair, which then became a big group as Marina and Lú also joined them. Some of the group's voices became raised and it seemed like things were escalating, so I decided to see what was going on. I approached the group slowly, kind of hiding between Ander and Marina, but still just able to see what was happening.

"Hola." I heard a whisper beside me as Samuel wrapped his arm around my shoulder, clearly trying to get involved too. It was clear the group were arguing over the night's events, with people talking about Ander's drug use, Carla's lack of an invite, Lu's lover (Guzmán) leaving with Nadia, and of course, the fact that Christian and I hooked up. The news had spread, and the group began arguing, all defending themselves as each person was attacked, even Polo for his lack of care for Carla. "Mantén mi nombre fuera de tu boca." I shouted as I heard a few of the group bad mouthing me despite the fact I was right there. Our voices began to get louder and louder until they turned to shouting. Spanish curse words were being thrown in the air, and even though we could hear the school bell ringing in a distance, all focus was on us and the words we shared, my mind and everyone else's forgetting anything else.

And, of course, unfortunately for me, a sudden loud noise disrupted the chaos.

In the distance, a small engine could be heard approaching the school, the sound getting louder and louder as the source of the noise drew closer. It was as the noise was almost just around the corner that I recognized it as Nano's motorbike. As the vehicle turned the corner and sped up the driveway of the school, it drew the attention of everyone outside, who had almost seemingly forgotten about the identity of the motorbike driver. Almost. I could see the recognition on both Christian and Guzman's face, and yet somehow Samuel was too caught up in conversation with Nadia to realize his brother was incoming.

"Wait... reconozco ese sonido..." Christian spoke up, staring at the mysterious driver of the bike, who skidded next to where we all stood, helmet still in place as if he was hiding who he was. Guzmán scoffed as everyone began to be intrigued by who was there and why, yet Guzmán remembered exactly who he was. A small voice could be heard from underneath the helmet, and a shiver went down my spine as I heard his familiar voice.

"Little Italia, let's go."

His arms extended as he handed me the spare helmet he had, and I placed it on my head, securing it quickly as people continued to stare. I hopped on the back, noticing Christian's face full of confusion, and tapped Nano's shoulder signaling to him that we should go. He revs the engine, before speeding off down the driveway, my arms wrapped around his torso for safety. He drives for a while, to parts of town that seem unfamiliar, and I sit thinking: 'did I make the right decision? Should I really be driving with Nano right now?'

The answer: Probably not.