𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫. 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐝

-

-

AFTER SUCH A LONG DAY, I SIMPLY WANTED TO RELAX. All I wanted to do was rest. I sat on the grass field near school, laptop beside me, attempting to relax. I kind of wanted to hang out with some friends, but I think just about everyone was busy. I tried to call Samu but he didn't answer, Guzman is with Nadia to visit his dad, Christian is with Polo for a shoot and Nano is with Marina. I lay back on the grass, listening to music when a shadow looms over me, and I open my eyes to see Carla standing over me. "Hello, Jada. Can we talk?"

I stared up at her, confused, and she extended her hand to me. I took her hand, and she helped pull me up, smiling as she did so. I stood beside her, brushing off my skirt as we began walking, not sure where we were heading. "Look. First of all, I want to apologize. Polo shouldn't have spoken to you like that, what he said wasn't true. Christian really cares about you, so many times Polo has talked shit before about you and Christian jumps to your defense. I'm starting to think Polo might be more into this than I originally thought - I'm almost afraid to leave them alone together." She opened up to me, shocking me slightly as we walked inside a little café I'd surprisingly never visited before, despite it only being around the corner from our school. "You know Polo loves you, no need to worry about that. Even Christian likes you-" She interrupted me immediately, "No. Christian likes the idea of me. Not me. He likes the riches, the luxury. Who he really likes is you." She settles onto the café's sofa, indicating to the seat next to her so I'd sit down. "Look," She leans closer, facing me seriously now. "Enough about the boys. About what Lu said. About the watches. I'm not trying to be a bitch, but seriously, if you know anything, please tell me. I need to know. The watch, if in the wrong hands, could ruin both my family and Marina's. I don't want to believe that Marina would steal them, it doesn't make sense. The only reason she would steal them would be if it was for you, or one of your hood friends." I look at her judgmentally, and she shrugs. "Sorry, bad habit. But seriously. I'm only saying this cause my father is pressuring me so much to find out who did it." Kind of annoyed by her slightly accusing words, I stayed silent for a second, thinking over how she must be feeling. Her father must be pressuring her like crazy, blaming her for the watches disappearing. Guilt crept up on me, and I felt bad, really, I did. But I knew the watch was in safe hands - Marina or Nano's hands. "I really wish I knew who did it, but it really wasn't me. I have nothing to do with it, I wish I could help." I rubbed her shoulder in support, and she held onto my hand, smiling to me before her phone went off, with a voice note from Polo popping up on the screen.

"Hello, hon. Everything is good here. The photoshoot went well. But it's late, we are tired and we have to study. Better if we celebrate some other day. Love you." The voice note played loud enough for me to hear, and she looked at me, confused. "Tired and having to study? Does that sound like Christian to you?" She said to me, and I shook my head, shrugging. "Not Christian. But Polo, yes." I said, and she giggled softly, smiling lightly. "Yeah, you're right. I probably seem really crazy now. Sorry." She smiled again, just as a woman came to take our orders. "Two herbal lemon teas, please," Carla spoke up, ordering for me with a smile and handing cash over to the waitress. "Thanks, Carla, I guess you aren't as bad as us 'hood' people thought." She laughed; shoving me lightly just as the waitress came over, handing us our two lemon teas with ice to go. We sat for a while, talking about her and Polo's history, as well as where and how I had met Christian. Carla even opened up about her and Lu's friendship, complaining about how the other girl always was so judgemental which I definitely would agree with. After a couple of hours had passed, we decided it was time to go home. Knowing our opposite paths to go home, we stood awkwardly as her family driver pulled up to pick her up. After a quick embrace she stepped into the car, waving me goodbye as we went our separate ways.

As I walked down the little road to my apartment, I spotted Guzman walking in my direction, a small cute smile on his face as he looked to his feet, not looking up at all. With his earphones in, I knew he wouldn't hear me if I called his name, so instead I skipped over to him, tapping him on his shoulder as he almost bumped into me. Guzman snapped out of his focus, yanking his earphones out of his ears as he smiled at me, pulling me in for a hug. "Jada, how are you?" He spoke softly, his calm voice soothing my ears slightly, almost making me giggle. "I'm good. What's got you in such a good mood?" I asked, and he shook his head. "Nothing. I just went to visit my father." I reached out for a hug, knowing how hard that must have been for him. "How do you feel now then?" I asked, and he shrugged as we pulled apart. "I don't know. I'm glad I went, I think." He smiled sheepishly, and I laughed slightly, just as Guzman's phone began to ring. "Look, I have to go. My mother keeps calling me. I'll see you tomorrow?" He said, hugging me once more before rushing off, answering his phone as he did.

As I turned towards my apartment, I noticed a trail of smoke coming from one of the apartment windows. More specifically, Nano's window. I could just about make out his figure peering from behind the curtain, and I shook my head at his behaviour. "Hey! Cabrón! Quit spying." I shouted up to the window, and he leaned out, looking moody. I could just about make out him tutting at me, presumably because I hugged Guzman, who in his eyes was the enemy. "I wasn't spying." He said quietly, although loud enough for me to make out. "Whatever you say. How was your afternoon with Marina?" I asked, and he frowned at me, before smiling slightly, "Jealous, are we?" I scoffed at his words, trying to confidently prove I didn't care. "God no. Just wanted to know if you had a fun afternoon." He laughed to himself, because asking me the same question, "Did you have fun?" He called down, and I smiled. "Yes, I hung out with Carla and saw Guzman. Very fun." His face dropped at the mention of Carla's name, and as he opened his mouth, probably to complain, I called out goodbye and rushed into my apartment.

Seconds after arriving into the apartment, my phone rang, with Nano's name appearing at the top of the screen. I let it ring, but he was persistent, and called about four times before he realised I wasn't answering. That was when I heard a knock on the door. Not making the connection, I opened the door without a second thought to reveal Nano, holding his phone up as it rang me, although I wasn't planning on answering. "Shit." I mumbled as he shoved past me into the apartment. "Thanks for answering the phone." He said sarcastically, and I responded the same, "Anytime." I began to make myself a coffee, deciding to make Nano one too since he was here. "Wanna tell me why you were with Carla?" He asked accusingly as he stood beside me, looking kind of annoyed that my focus was solely on the coffee machine I was using. "Not really." I responded, and he banged his fist on the table, I guess to scare me, but I didn't bat an eyelid. "Jada, this is important. We stole from Carla. I need to know what she spoke to you about." He said, now stepping in between me and the coffee machine. "Nano, move. And I can handle Carla, so relax." I stepped closer to him, hoping he'd move, but instead he pulled me in, staring down at me as he held me close, "Tell me what she said. Did she mention the watches, or who she suspected? Fucking hell Jada!" He slammed his hand on the kitchen counter behind him, and I used this chance to get out of his grip, pushing him away from me, and ending up pushing him up against the wall next to the window. "Listen. I don't need a babysitter. You don't need to worry yourself with what Carla said. It doesn't matter. You already know she suspects Marina and the hood kids. Why else would anyone steal? And yes, she asked me if I knew anything, but obviously since I have a brain I said no. How dumb do you think I am? Fucking Idiota." As I finished my little angry speech, the word Idiota seemed to set him off and as I tried to walk away for my coffee, he spun us around so I was against the wall. "Don't call me an idiot again." He said, holding me up by my throat not aware of how much pressure he was putting on me, until he snapped out of it and let me go.

"Jada, I'm so sorry." He said, as I held my hand around my neck, coughing slightly. I shook my head at Nano, as he began spluttering our reasons why he did that, claiming he's stressed, Marina's keeping the baby, he wants to leave town, and more bullshit I was supposed to care for. "Nano, just go." I said as I headed to the window, needing some air. I felt his body behind me, his hands on my waist, his lips on my neck. "Look, I'm sorry. About everything. I know you feel like I left you for Marina. But she has my kid. I can't just leave her like that." He said kissing up my neck, but I turn around, shaking my head at him. "You can't just act like this. Marina stressed you out so you come to me? No. That's not how this works. Sort yourself out. Leave." I pushed him away and sat down, still holding my neck as he headed for the door. "Lo siento." He said as he closed the door behind him, leaving me to rush to the bathroom, tears forming in my eyes as I noticed the mark forming on my neck where someone I once cared so much for had laid a hand on me. I rushed into my room, crying softly as I fell asleep, feeling like I had no one.