𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞. 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐟𝐥𝐮

-

-

THE WEEK PASSED INCREDIBLY SLOWLY and I was happy to see it was Monday again. I'd spent most of my week either laying in bed or over the toilet throwing up, but at least I got a break from school. As much as it was nice to have a break, it was also extremely boring just sitting in bed watching television or studying. My parent's video called me to see how I was, despite their heavy workload and also arranged for their doctor friend to come see me. His conclusion: Stomach Flu. He gave me a ton of medication and was on his way. The only other person I saw was Samuel, and I made him sit far away from me because the doctor said stomach flu was contagious. We spent most of our evening talking about school work, and, of course, Marina.

But now, the week was over. It was Monday, and I was finally feeling better. No more headaches, no more tummy pain, and no more vomiting. I decided I would return to school today, and after the long week off I couldn't tell whether I was more nervous or excited. Who knows what chaos I was about to walk into. I sighed as all these thoughts ran through my head as I began trying to find my school books so I could pack my bag. After rummaging around my room for about ten minutes, I discovered my English book underneath my pajamas, and rushed to finish packing my bag before putting on my boots and heading out of the apartment; down the stairs to where Nano and Samuel were waiting for me. Nano stood outside the car, cigarette in hand, while Samuel sat inside, probably reading or listening to music. I walked towards them slowly, checking my messages and emails from teachers, until I finally reached Nano, who grabbed my arms and pulled me aside. "Are you okay? I heard you were sick? Not pregnant are you? Why didn't you message me?" He asked in a hushed voice, hands lightly on my waist, staring at me with a slightly annoyed expression, concern clear in his voice. Shaking my head, I laughed, "God no, no babies. I'm fine now, don't stress!" I shoved him lightly and his frown became a smile as he surprised me, embracing me in a hug. "Next time, message me, I could have kept you company." He said, opening the front passenger seat and I shook my head as I got in, with him closing the door behind me. As the door slammed shut Samuel's attention turned to me, smile clear on his face.

"Jada! Te sientes mejor?" He asked in a rush, and I smiled back to him, nodding. "Ya no me siento enfermo.  Me siento saludable nuevamente, estoy listo para volver a la escuela. Yo me perdí algo?" I asked, and he shook his head in response. I turned back as Nano started the car, and we headed to school whilst singing along to the radio. Of course, we had to stop on the way for some snacks, which was the one thing I had forgot to pack in my bag. After a twenty-minute journey, we finally arrived to school and I immediately notice Guzman and Marina staring unhappily at us. Well, more staring at Nano than us. As more of the rich kids arrived, the pair tripled in size, and we received a variation of looks, ranging from anger, disgust or disappointment. What a great start. Samuel hopped out of the car, clearly trying to catch up and speak to Marina, who was slowly walking up the stairs. As Samuel walked past the front of the car, Nano turned to me. "Listen, I need you to call me if you don't feel well. I know I've been a dick recently but if you need anything, even if it's a lift to school, I've got you." He said, resting a hand on my arm and I smiled, as he continued, "And if any of these assholes talk crap, let me know and I'll fix the problem. Especially that Guzman kid." He said, nodding to where Guzman stood, staring at us talking. I laughed, giving him an awkward hug before getting out of the car, grabbing my bag that was now filled with snacks before heading towards the school, brushing past the new kids as I began walking up the stairs just as the bell rang.

As I walk into our tutor room, my eyes fall on Christian, who I haven't spoken to in over a week, despite us being supposed best friends. He glances up at me and I smile, waving my hand just slightly. I am about to walk over to him, when Carla walks over and his attention turns to her, instantly forgetting about his old friend, me. I roll my eyes and go to my seat next to Ander, who is much more welcoming.

"Hey. Missed you." He says as we stand behind our desks, and he pulls me in for a bro hug of some sort. "Seems like you're the only one," I respond, and he nods in understanding as we take our places in our seats as our teacher begins setting up. "It's not you. They don't like Nano, at all. Because you were with him they are feeling a bit hostile against you. Don't worry, it'll pass." he says comfortingly, and I sigh, not feeling very hopeful about it passing. I gaze off out the window as our teacher begins talking, occasionally snapping back to reality and writing about homework assignments and study notes until the bell rang, signaling we were free for a small while.

Ander grabs my hand, and we walk down the corridor smiling and laughing, with him talking about a bunch of stuff including Omar, who he mentioned a lot. I remember the time I saw them kiss, and I think about how cute they would be together. Focusing back on what he was saying, I realize how nice of a person Ander is. He wasn't raised like the rest of them, he's just lucky. His mother happened to be the principal of a rich school so he has connections, but he's not an asshole like the rest of them here. Ander calls my name and I realize I've been daydreaming again. As I am about to respond, I am cut short by Guzman and Polo wrapping their arms around our shoulders, Guzman by my side, Polo next to Ander. "Hola Guzman." I smile at him, and he laughs. "Don't think I've forgotten. I saw you leave a week ago with Nano. And then today, he brings you to school. You think I wouldn't notice?" He asks, the look on his face showing his annoyance. I laugh, staring back at him.

"Listen. I don't care if you notice. You need to get your head out of your ass. I am not yours. I am no ones. I can do as I please. So for god's sake will you stop making a big deal out of everything so we can just get along and be friends?" I snap back to him, and he stares almost in shock. Polo and Ander have now stepped away, and are watching the scene unfold. "I'm trying to help you Jada. It's clear you can't make decisions for yourself, so I'm trying to help. Especially after your mistake with Christian." He says, looking down on me, and I groan in frustration. "Fuck. I thought we were friends. Amigos. Why can't you just be nice?" I ask, walking off as he mumbles something under his breath that I couldn't quite make out.

I slump down outside on the grass, leaning against the tree, wondering why I had to come to this school. Of course, I was one of the lucky ones, but I sure as hell didn't feel like it.