9. Voice

Mystery is definitely what Malachi is made up of. I mean, he is simple but is also complicated. He is a gentleman but is also a jerk. For so many times, he proves me that chivalry isn't dead. And more so, almost all of the time, he shows me that men can really be jerks.

Just right after  the midnight comes to an end, Malachi drives me back to the apartment.

"Thanks for the night drive." I say, genuinely grateful. He replies with his charming smile, painting a ray of sunshine all over his face. "I mean it Kai."

A slight flush of pink leaks into his cheeks as he grins, biting his lip and looking away. 

"Don't go dramatic on me." He grumbles, squinting his eyes to make a face. "Go, get in. It's so late, Louissa."

"Hey." I stop short upon hearing that name again. "Louissa?"

"Yes. It sounds much sweeter with the A at the end."

"I don't think so." I disagree without hesitation.

"My mom's name is Claire." He says, smiling at the music of his mom's name. "And dad used to call her Clara."

"Okay." I reply, smiling widely. "Louissa it is."

That makes Malachi's smile reach up to his eyes and oh good heavens, it looks so perfect on him. A scarred man is no less beautiful. What I am seeing honestly right now is a perfect man—scarred but still perfect on its own.

"But you will forever be my baby Lou-ser." He mutters which sends shiver down my spine for some reason. It even paints a smile on my face but I try hard to hide it. I should be annoyed but no, it rings something else this time when he tags me by that nickname. It's special.

"Okay, Kai. Good night." I say to end the beautiful night, my hands prepared to shut the door close.

"It's good morning, Louissa." He smirks, rolling his eyes dramatically that made me laugh softly. Well, there's no sense arguing about it. He is right anyway.

"Just go home you jerk." I can still find the amusement in my voice especially when a short chuckle strings along at the end of my sentence.

"Okay." He hisses, holding up his hands before turning his back on me. I watch him step away until he just makes a sudden 180 degrees turn, therefore facing me again. "Anyway, about that A at the end."

I cross my arms over my chest to let him know I'm listening. Kai is now about ten or twelve inches away from me but I can still clearly see the facial expression he is making. Yup, his usual smirking face.

"It doesn't apply to all." He rumbles, smirking as hilarity dances on his lips.

"I am about to say that." I just say to let him win and let this topic go to avoid arguing. I don't know why but majority of the time, we argue, even more at little things.

"Yeah? Great!" He smiles, a genuine one and also raises his hand to show me a thumbs up. "Helga." He mouths and I mouth back 'oh' as realization dawns me. We both laugh—me leaning on the door frame while him walking away.

For what seems like first time in forever, I feel excited to wake up in the morning, hopeful about things, excited about whatever will come my way. But then, before you talk about waking up, you have to consider about sleeping first. And for some stupid reason, I can't! It's been two hours or maybe three, since Malachi left my apartment but here I am, still wide awake; Thoughts filled with memories of last night.

This isn't a good sign, is it?

Even before my life turned into a whirlwind of mess, I was never an audience of romance—may it be in books or films, or even in real life. I mean, I once believe in love. But it's a different kind of love.