14. Dream

It's kuya Zeke! After a month, he calls me again. While listening to my brother's voice at the end of the line, I look at Kai who sits in the corner, smiling encouragingly at me.

"Gracie, how are you?" My brother asks, his voice lively and joyful. Oh. I miss him so so much, I cannot stop crying. "Jacob called this morning."

Without interrupting, I listen to him narrating to me about Jacob's call to my parents. I just want to listen to him all day. Judging from his voice, kuya Zeke seems to have a full recovery—if not, at least close.

"I'm sorry kuya." I mumble eventually the words I've been wanting to tell him since the accident happened. "I'm sorry..."

"It's not your fault, Grace." He answers meekly, his voice gentle and soft-spoken. "It's nobody's fault, okay? Don't blame yourself."

I don't even know if that is possible. If something happens to him— if something happened to him, I'd definitely have myself accountable for it and will blame myself for the rest of my life.

"Grace. Don't." Kuya Zeke repeats as if reading my mind. "Don't blame yourself. It will break my heart if you do."

Haven't I done that yet? I mean... I've broken so many things.

"It's not your fault, Gracie." He whispers, his voice seems to be dancing in sadness. It causes my heart to constrict, making it hard for me to breathe. "Promise me, you won't."

"Okay." I just say because the thought of him being sad is heart-breaking. "I wish you were here kuya. I wish..."

"Shh. Don't worry. We'll see each other soon, Gracie. Mom and dad already booked a flight back home."

Oh gosh. That's like the best thing I heard this summer. My tears just find another reason to never stop gracing down my cheeks. My sobs are silent as I don't want kuya Zeke to be bothered by it but it racks my body even more.

"See you soon little sister."

"I love you, Zeke." I hear myself say. "See you soon."

"I love you more, princess."

When the call ends, I place the phone over my chest as I continue crying, this time, letting out my sobs without constrain. Malachi quickly crosses to my side to generously offer me his shoulder to cry on.

"They're coming home, Kai. I'm going to see them now." I tell him, excitement and some other confusing emotions spilling from my voice.

"I'm happy for you, Lou-Lou." He says, smiling earnestly which warms my heart exceedingly. Then, he encloses me in his arms where I feel closest to being home.

Kai never stops capturing each tear that rains down my cheeks until he jokes about me looking really ugly because of crying. We end up fighting like kids and in the next few minutes, we both laugh—just a normal time spent with him. As the afternoon generously gives way to the dusk, Kai and I go out of the cabin to watch the sunset by the river. Just like every time, the scenic beauty of it never fails to amaze me.

"Kai."

"Yes baby?" He says, his voice teasing while he smiles.

"Do you mind if I bring Zeke here? I want to watch the sunset with him. He always loves the sunset and he kept inviting me before." I recall the afternoons when Zeke called me so we could go home together or drive towards his favorite hill top to watch the sunset. But I always said no...non-verbally. I don't even talk to him appropriately before. "He will love this place."

Turning to me, Kai gives me a genuine smile that shrinks my heart secretly. Touching my face, he says, "Of course. Of course baby. Anything that will make you happy."