Chapter Five

I wake up at six in the morning as I have taken to doing. I dress in athletic shorts and a long sleeve shirt, then head outside to run a few laps around the castle. Curfew ends at exactly six, and breakfast starts at seven and gets over at eight thirty.

After running my laps, I go inside to get ready. It's seven o'clock and Neville and Dean are the only ones awake. Dean gives me a weird look, but I ignore him in favor of showering and changing into my robes. We finish getting ready at the same time, and head down to the great hall after waking the others up.

"So Harry, where did you go this morning?" Dean asks once we sit down.

"I went for a run around the castle."

"Oh." He looks confused but drops it. I fill my plate, and am eating a piece of bacon when Hermoine comes in.

"Good morning boys. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes." We reply in unison.

The four of us laugh, and I ask her how she slept.

"Quiet well thank you."

McGonagall walks up to us with our schedules as we finish our food, Ron and Seamus having gotten here five minutes ago.

"Harry what do you have second?" Ron asks.

"Ancient studies."

"Ugh! I was hoping that was a joke."

—-

"Harry, my boy! I am glad to see you are safe. You had us very worried you know." Dumbledore says as I enter his office.

He requested I meet with him after classes today. I school my features into a sheepish look.

"Sorry sir. I didn't mean to worry you. I figured that if I could find somewhere at least as secure as the Dursley's it would be fine. I couldn't stay there anymore."

"Why not? They are your family, and they only want what's best for you."

"I'm sorry, sir, but you don't know them like I do. They do not consider me family, and frankly, I am inclined to agree with them on that single matter."

"I think you may be exaggerating things a bit. Just because you don't always get your way doesn't mean they don't consider you family. And what about the people you are staying with? You wouldn't want to inconvenience them now would you?"

"You are smart headmaster, before this summer, I think I may have fallen for that and given you information on my location. There were a lot of things I learned this summer, and so I have become more cautious. I can assure you though, that Voldemort cannot hurt me where I am."

"But—"

"I will not change my mind Headmaster. Have a nice evening."

—-

"This year, I will be assigning you partners. Your partner will work with you every class this year." Professor Slughorn announces. I tune him out until I hear my name.

"Potter and Malfoy."

Hiding a grin, I move to the space next to Draco. I know that as Hadrian Snape we are friends, but that doesn't mean I can't have some fun with this.

"You will be brewing the drought of living death. Instructions are on the board. If anyone successfully brews this potion, the pair will each get a vile of liquid luck. You may begin."

"Set up the workspace while I get the ingredients, Potter." He sneers. "Do exactly as I tell you and maybe if we are lucky it won't blow up in our faces." I raise my eyebrow at the statement.