Chapter One: Legacy

128 ABY; Four Years Later

A flash of neon green sliced the air. Cade Skywalker gripped the carefully sculpted piece of metal and felt its vibration in his hand. Cade subconsciously twirled the lightsaber around in his hand as he had a thousand times before and stared his opponent dead in the eye. The Jedi Apprentice that stood before him was said to be among the best that they had in the Order. Piece of cake. Cade didn't move a muscle; his opponent would attack first. It was a courtesy that Cade had always given opponent in a duel, and it had just become a thing. The Padawan he was facing knew that he would attack first, and was merely calculating his first move. After a minute of the standstill, Cade shrugged his shoulders and turned his back on his opponent, facing the crowd watching instead.

Rule 1: Never turn your back on your opponent. The Padawan Cade was facing was obviously aware of that particular rule, because the second Cade's back was turned, the Apprentice lashed out. Cade spun around and brought his lime lightsaber up to meet his opponent's blue one. Cade defended easily against the blows, countering each and every strike his opponent made. As the Apprentice brought his lightsaber down upon Cade once more, Cade ducked under it and rolled under his opponent's legs. He then came up behind the Jedi Apprentice and swung his lightsaber directly into his opponent's chest. It went through harmlessly. The lights in the room came back on. The match was over, quick and easy.

"Match over," boomed a voice overhead. "Skywalker wins!"

Cade powered down his lightsaber and popped out the harmless training crystal within, used for training purposes only. His opponent did the same and they shook hands.

"Well done," said his fellow Padawan.

Cade simply nodded and made his way toward the exit of the big room, ignoring the cheers. He did not stop to speak with his Jedi Master, Wolf Sazen, which would have consequences. Cade didn't care. He had figured out a long time ago that it was a game. All of it. And the game was getting boring.

Cade found Azlyn Rae waiting for him, a red-haired girl that was in the same year as he was. She was the only person who would have the faintest idea of what was happening with him and how to make him feel better.

"Another win," said Azlyn as he approached.

"I don't want to win anymore."

"I know," she said softly.

They walked outside in the courtyard and sat down. Cade grabbed Azlyn's hand and they sat there, lost in thought.

"I just wish someone would become better than me," Cade admitted. "I don't want to be the best at everything, you know? I don't want to be..."

"A Sky—"

"No," Cade corrected quickly. "No, it's not that, I just..."

Azlyn squeezed his hand. "I understand."

Cade nodded and Azlyn stood up.

"You going to make me spend all day cheering you up or are you going to accept that life sucks and have some fun?"

Cade laughed, something that only Azlyn could bring out. He stood up too. "Okay, Red. Let's get going."

The two joined hands again and continued to sneak out of the Order's base, as they had many times before. They ran towards a forest in the distance that contained many interesting creatures. They came together to the forest at least twice a week to visit the friendly creatures and enjoy the freedom that being away from the Order caused them to feel. Cade's Master, Sazen, often questioned Cade on his whereabouts, but Cade always came up with an excuse. They had never been caught out of the base.

"Aw, look at Todd!" Azlyn exclaimed. A creature they had named Todd was making its way toward them. Cade smiled and leaned down to pick it up. It was a slimy thing, but Cade didn't mind. It was a harmless creature that always seemed to be smiling at them. Azlyn leaned over to touch the creature, and the creature suddenly coughed spitting something onto Azlyn's clothes.

"I think he likes me," Azlyn laughed.

"He's not the only one," Cade replied and proceeded to lean down and kiss Azlyn on the cheek.

"What was that for?" Azlyn said, punching Cade playfully.

"That was for you," Cade said. "To remember me."

Quicker than a flash of light, Azlyn stood on her tiptoes and kissed Cade on the cheek.

"And that was for you," she said. "To remember me."

Cade set the tiny, slimy creature back down and sat beside it. Azlyn joined him.

"So," she said, "what has Cade Skywalker so sentimental?"

Cade looked up at the stars and began to say their names over and over again in his head.

"Uh-oh," said Azlyn. "If you're doing what I think you're doing..."

"I can't help it, okay. I just name the stars when I'm—"

"Anxious about something," finished Azlyn.

Cade sighed. "I just have this... feeling. That things aren't going to stay this way. Everything's going to change."

Azlyn didn't say anything, just followed Cade's gaze to the stars.

"You think I'm crazy, don't you?" Cade said.

Cade didn't look at her, but knew she was smiling.

"Of course you're crazy," she said. "But that doesn't mean what you feel isn't real."

"There's only one feeling I have now that's real."

"Don't get all cheesy on me," Azlyn said. "It's not very Skywalker-like to get all cheesy."

Cade closed his eyes. "Then maybe I don't want to be Skywalker-like anymore."

"Don't let your name define you," said Azlyn. "Define your name."

Cade nodded. "I think we'd better head back now."

"What, no kiss for that?"

"There's been enough kisses for one day."

Azlyn laughed. "And you said you weren't a Skywalker."

Cade just shook his head and they started to walk back up to the Order base. He didn't mention it again, but he knew his feeling was right. Nothing was going to stay the same. Everything was changing.