Chapter Eight: Vongspawn

As the first Vong reached Cade, he spun around at let the Vong's momentum carry it past Cade. As the Vong stumbled forward, Cade thrust his blade into it's back. Cade brought his lightsaber around to meet the next Vong and clashed it with the Vong's snake spear. Then he stepped back, dodged a stab, and sliced through the Vong. The first several Vong were pretty easily fended off, with Wolf and Shado having just as simple a time as Cade at defending themselves.

But soon, more began coming and they began fending them off two or three at a time. That's when Cade really had to start getting creative. He would perform slides and spins and slashes and anything that would kill more than one Vong at a time. Luckily the Vong weren't too intelligent, because Cade could do the same moves over and over again on repeat without them catching on. So Cade was feeling pretty confident about he and his comrades' ability to defeat the Vong. That was, at least, until Cade started getting tired. It was at a point where Cade had sliced through about five Vong at a time when he noticed his arm starting to ache and feel heavier on his shoulder. He took a moment to shake out his arm and that was all it took for a Vong to knock him to the floor. As the Vong came down on Cade with his spear, Cade tried to use his force powers to push the Vong back, but nothing happened. The Vong's spear came down on Cade and struck his side.

"Aah!" Cade shouted out in pain. The Vong raised his spear to strike again, this time aimed for the heart, when a blue lightsaber appeared through his chest. The Vong fell and Shado was standing over him.

"Shado!" Cade said in amazement, but then doubled over coughing from the pain.

Shado dragged Cade over to a narrow trench in the ground that was covered with black worms. Cade tried to ignore the feeling of the words crawling on him as he was lowered down in the trench by Shado, who was being covered by Wolf. Cade pressed his hands to his bleeding side and watched as Wolf and Shado fended off the Vongs.

It wasn't long before Shado was overwhelmed to, and fell back in the trench with Cade, leaving Sazen alone to defend against the creatures, whose numbers were barely thinning. Shado wasn't injured as bad as Cade was, but he was too exhausted to rejoin the fight. Cade kept watching as Wolf defending against Vongs coming from every direction. He was losing focus by the second, but Cade refused to close his eyes and pass out. He had to stay awake, otherwise all would be lost.

Wolf went on strong for a long time. In the span of what seemed like a lifetime, Wolf didn't seem to get tired at all and he never repeated the same move twice. Cade had never seen his father fight before, but this is how he imagined him being. Fearless, brave, and unwavering. Unfortunately, it didn't last forever. Just as the Vong's numbers were starting to really weaken and the light at the end of the tunnel was getting brighter, Sazen began losing his tempo. And it wasn't over time, like Cade's tiredness had formed. It was instantaneous. One moment, Wolf was going strong and the next it was like he had aged twenty years. More Vong began getting the drop on him and crowding him. After a few more minutes, Wolf finally dropped.

Then, something odd happened.

"Yuth Ugg!" A voice shouted something in the Vong's language and the Vong started to retreat. Cade let out a sigh of relief and thought that someone had finally come to help them. But that wasn't it. The Vongs continued backing up and created a clear line in the center for a larger Vong to walk slowly through. Cade realized that it must be the Vong's leader, or at least one of them. Cade's sense of relief faded as quickly as it had come and Cade realized what was going to happen. The Vong leader raised his snake spear above Sazen's body.

"Rrush'hok!" the leader yelled, which Cade figured probably translated to something like "die!".

But Wolf Sazen did not die. Thinking quickly, Cade spotted a snake spear on the floor from one of the many fallen Vongs. Using the force, Cade lifted the spear telekinetically and thrust it through the Vong leader's heart (if Vong even had hearts). The Vong leader fell on his (or her) face and ceased to exist. There was a moment of silence on the dark planet, and so Cade used it to stumble to his feet and drag Wolf and Shado up along with him. He figured that the moment of confusion of having no leadership wouldn't last long, so he pulled Wolf and Shado along with him away from the Vong. Pretty soon all three of them were sprinting away.

They hadn't gotten very far when they heard the explosion.