Chapter Eleven - The Imperial Intelligence Agent

130 ABY; A Couple Months Later

When Cade awoke, the first thing that he noticed was that he felt okay. Nowhere close to good, but okay. Cade opened his eyes and a fuzzy image of a figure leaning over him swam before him. Cade closed his eyes tight and felt the presence of a hand leaving his forehead. When he opened his eyes again, the figure was gone. Cade looked down at his side, and realized that his wound had completely disappeared. He felt his forehead and felt the imprint of a hand, like someone's hand had been there for hours without being removed. Then his hand fell down back in line with his body and he drifted back into sleep.

When Cade awoke for the second time, he composed himself quicker and grabbed the arm of the person watching him before they could move away. Cade sat up and focused on the figure. It was a stern looking woman with black hair and blue eyes. She wore two communication devices and a choker around her neck. Her outfit was tight black and had a symbol on the front that resembled the Imperial logo. By the time all of his had sunk in, Cade had made an unsuccessful grab at his lightsaber.

"It's not there," said the woman, her voice monotone, not revealing any emotion.

"You're an Imperial Intelligence Agent," Cade said coldly.

"Correct," the woman said, just as coldly. "My name is Nyna Calixte. I serve in the Council of Moffs.

"Well then, get on with it."

"Get on with what exactly?"

"You know, killing me," Cade said, knowing what would come next.

"I wasn't planning on killing you," the woman said, as though the thought had never occurred to her.

"Right," Cade muttered. "So we're doing the 'take me to your leader' routine."

"No, that would be quite counterproductive."

"Well then, what?" Cade said, trying to make sense of his situation. "You're obviously here because Darth Krayt is becoming emperor soon."

"Well yes, sort of," Calixte said. "But I'm afraid Krayt has already taken his place as the new Emperor. You see, you've been out for a couple months."

"A couple months?" Cade exclaimed. "That's impossible."

Calixte just shrugged, as if the "impossible" was in her daily routine. "I've been helping you recover. You were practically dead when I found you."

"Helping me? Why?" Cade asked. "Don't you hate Jedi?"

Calixte scratched her choker absently. "They're not my favorite. But I didn't have much choice in this matter."

Cade gave up trying to make out what the woman was saying. "I don't understand."

Nyna Calixte stared into the distance as she started to explain. "You see now that Krayt is emperor, he has his One Sith to help him and has no need for the Moffs, which includes me."

"Okay, so you want Darth Krayt off the throne," Cade confirmed. "But why help me? How does that help you?"

Nyna Calixte stared straight into Cade's eyes and Cade suddenly got the feeling that he knew her from somewhere. But that was impossible.

"I don't know, exactly," said the woman. "But I have this feeling that somehow, you hold the key to defeating Krayt."

Suddenly the realization that Cade had been asleep for months hit him. "Look lady, I don't think I can help you with that, but I need to get back to my group. I need my lightsaber back."

"So you can slice me open?"

"You don't strike me as someone who would let me slice them open," Cade said, and the woman simply nodded and handed Cade his lightsaber. Cade put the hilt in his robe and stood up, managing to do it for the first time in awhile without shaking or hurting.

Cade left the cave and discovered that Wayland was exactly how he had left it.

"Depressing, isn't it?" said the woman from behind him. Cade turned to see that she had brought with her a blaster and a pack.

"Where are you going?" Cade asked.

"With you," Nyna responded.

"No, you're not," Cade said. "The last person I need tagging along is an Imperial Agent."

"You're right," said Calixte, "but a handy person to have along is someone who already knows where your friends are."

"You know where they are?" Cade asked.

The old woman nodded. "So you can have me along and meet up with your friends, or you could try and find them yourself and leave me behind."

Cade looked around at the depressing planet and groaned. The woman was right, Cade wouldn't even know where to start. There wasn't any other option.

"Lead the way."