Chapter Twenty - Suspended

Cade stopped in his tracks and looked around. He had dozens of stormtroopers coming from one direction, and the escape pod was gone. He was a dead man. But a thought popped into his head, one as suicidal as that of rescuing his father's body. He needed to get to a starfighter. If he could just make it into a starfighter, he could escape the planet. The only problem was that there were stormtroopers blocking the path between him and the fighters. Cade knew he couldn't fight all of the stormtroopers at once, so he'd have to be more creative. He had to think of something, quickly. Otherwise it would be too late.

Cade took a moment to think as the stormtroopers marched ever closer. He glanced around at his surroundings, but everything was in ruins. Buildings were crippled and deserted, and ships were smoking. But there had to be one left that still worked. That was what Cade was counting on. One working ship was all he needed. Oh, and he needed to be able to reach it too. That was also important. But it was becoming more and more clear that he was running out of options and time. The stormtroopers marched closer and it became apparent that Cade was going to have to act. He was going to have to do something. But what? What could he do? There was nothing at all near him that he could use to his advantage, and there was no one around to help him out. But that was fine. He didn't need anyone's help. Just because he was a Padawan, it didn't mean he wasn't powerful. It didn't mean he wasn't capable. But there was no denying the fact that he was going to have to act.

Cade made a split second decision and started to run at the stormtroopers to meet them. As he got closer the troopers raised their blasters and aimed them at Cade, but Cade wasn't having any of that. Cade transformed all of the emotions he was feeling of hopelessness, loss, and anger and channeled them through the force. He focused it then on the stormtroopers. Suddenly their blasters started to raise above their heads, all while Cade sprinted toward them. He then released the hold he had on their blasters and as they started to fall, he channeled the force into the path where he was running. As he ran through, instead of colliding with the troopers, he ended up running right through them. The force he had used had parted the wave of troopers to let him through. And as the troopers gathered themselves to figure out what happened, Cade boarded the first starfighter he saw, an X-83 TwinTail.

Cade had never pilotted a ship on his own, but he was a fast learner. He started the ship up and within no time at all he was shooting through the sky. It was then that he noticed another obstacle, one that he hadn't considered before. There were other ships in the sky. And they were not friendly.

Cade navigated through the enemy ships and raced his way as fast as he could off the planet. Just as he reached open space, though, and was about to go into hyperspeed, something happened. His ship jolted violently. Cade looked in the screen showing him the rear view and saw an enemy ship closing in behind him. Cade tried hyperspace again, but the jolt to his ship had caused the hyperdrive to malfunction. He tried to steer away to throw off the enemy ship, but it was too late. The enemy ship had locked on and fired toward Cade's ship. This time, the ship gave way in a massive explosion as Cade was sent flying into the atmosphere.

Cade felt himself falling before the force of the blast knocked him unconsious and everything faded before him. The last thing he could see was the darkness of space, before everything went dark and Cade was left suspended in the unbreathable atmosphere of the universe.

The End.