Chapter Fifteen - The Way Out

Cade had an idea. It was far-fetched, but it was the only way out of the Vong prison. Cade quickly ran through his plan with Wolf, Shado, and Nyna. They seemed doubtful, which Cade didn't blame them for, but none of them protested. They all knew that it was the best shot at getting out. And so they waited. And waited. And waited.

Finally, a very long time later, a Vong guard showed up to deliver food.

"Duwin prat," Wolf said when the guard arrived.

"Bos?" the guard said. Cade didn't understand him, but it sounded like a question.

"Duwin prat," Wolf said, repeated a similar phrase as before.

"Puul," the guard said.

"Prat dag tchurokk Yun," Wolf said.

There was silence for a moment, and then the guard opened the door to Cade's cell. The guard yelled something and two dozen more guards came out and escorted Cade and Wolf out of the prison.

"What did you say to him?" Cade asked Wolf.

"That we needed to speak to their leader," Wolf replied.

Cade nodded and they followed the guards into a crowed room where a large Vong sat in a giant chair. Cade assumed it was their leader. The leader Vong shouted something and Wolf nudged Cade.

"He wants you to start speaking and stop wasting his time," Wolf translated.

"Right," Cade replied. "That's probably a good idea."

Cade took a deep breath and then began his only hope for escape. "I would like to start off by saying that the time I have spent in captivity here has been exquisite."

Wolf translated what Cade was saying as he spoke. The leader Vong grunted in appreciation.

"However, I do have some complaints."

When Wolf translated that sentence, the Vong seemed to grow angrier.

"Watch what you say next," Wolf muttered to Cade. "Your life might depend on it."

"It's just..." Cade started. "As great as the prison is, it seems a little easy to escape from. I mean, I've witnessed about half a dozen people escape since I've been here."

The leader Vong shouted something in reponse.

"He says that escape is impossible from his dungeons and that no escapees have been reported to him."

"Escape from your dungeons is very challenging indeed," Cade said. "But not impossible. I can show you to way to escape, if you would like."

The leader Vong shouted something else.

"He says he'll send some guards down with us to inspect, and he'll send more to fix however his prisoners escaped."

Cade nodded and the guards that had brought him up to the room walked them back toward the dungeons.

"Did you see it?" Cade muttered to Sazen.

"Yes," Wolf whispered back. "I can get to it if I get a distraction."

"Got it."

Cade and Wolf brought the guards to the cell of Shado, which appeared empty. "There should be a Jedi in here," Cade said. "But he has escaped."

The guards peered in and then shouted to each other and opened up the cell door quickly. Suddenly, Shado fell from the ceiling of the cell onto one of the guards while Cade tackled one of them. In the midst of all the action, Cade saw Wolf slip out of the dungeon without being spotted.

Cade and Shado kept fighting with the guards. The guards carried spears, so dodging them proved extremely difficult. Shado managed to avoid his guard's spear, but Cade got grazed once in the side. It was obvious that they couldn't beat the guards without lightsabers, but all they had to do was buy some time and not let the guards call for help.

Soon, Wolf returned with three lightsabers and a blaster. He distributed the lightsabers by tossing them to Cade and Shado and they made quick work of the guards after that. After the guards were down, Cade sliced open Nyna's cell with one stroke.

"Thanks," said Nyna to Cade. She then looked over at Wolf. "My blaster."

But Wolf didn't toss her the blaster. Instead, he pulled out his lightsaber and pointed it at Calixte. "You're an Intelligence Agent."

"Woah woah woah," Cade said, stepping in between Sazen and Calixte. "She saved my life, remember?"

"Yeah, so did I," grunted Wolf. "Big deal."

"We don't have time for this," Cade said. "Reinforcements will be coming as soon as they realize what happened."

"I'm not giving her a blaster," Wolf said, "and she's not coming on our ship."

Cade glanced over at Nyna.

"Whatever," said Calixte. "I wasn't planning on shooting you anyway, and I have my own means of transportation. Let's just get out of here."

"Fine," Wolf grunted.

They made their way out of the Vong Estate without running into any more threats, and they were soon once again in the depressing area of Wayland. Cade nodded once to Nyna to show his appreciation, and then they parted ways. Wolf managed to lead them back to the ship, and Cade felt relieved for the first time in months. They were finally going home.