Chapter 13: Shining armour

Jace was sat on his favourite bench while he looked out quizzically across the school yard. Himself, Max and Izzy were going to stay with Robert's sister in a few days, so he was making a list of snacks to take (she didn't let them eat sweets, so him and Max were going to smuggle them into their bags and have a "rave" at midnight.)

Jace looked up to see Jonathan skipping across the school yard. Jace was failing miserably in their French lessons, but Jonathan was doing so well that he had been selected to take part in a pen-pal exchange with a boy from Paris and he'd been much happier with himself lately.

Izzy slid in next to her brother. Since Magnus had moved into the house directly opposite, three of the four siblings and Magnus tended to hang out together in school. Alec had a fever and was home from school for a few days though, so it probably wouldn't be long until they all caught it.

There was a shout from across the yard and Izzy stood up. Jace couldn't see that far and despite everyone trying to get him to go and have his eyes checked, he refused until he was old enough to wear contacts. "Jace..." Izzy paused. "Something's wrong..." Jace heard a shout and shot down the steps and across the yard.

Magnus was stood facing one of the most horrible boys in his year group. This boy's father was high up on the school committee and the boy knew everything about everyone, so he was one to look out for. Magnus' jacket had been clearly pulled and his hair was tousled slightly, he'd taken a few hits. Jace tried to get what was going on as he reached the circle of kids around them. Despite Magnus being sixteen, Jace knew that he would not want to be having a confrontation without Alec by his side.

"He's not here to defend you! I can say what I like! I've seen the looks passed when you don't think anyone's watching! I know what you are, both of you! You're both-

Jace growled at the boy. "DON'T YOU DARE SAY ANOTHER WORD TO HIM!"

Jace looked up and down this boy with disgust. Who was this low life to out Magnus to the whole school yard? He had nothing to hide, absolutely, but it was Magnus (and Alec's) choice who they told about themselves and when. The boy looked at Jace and scoffed. "You really want to lecture on fitting in...Jonathan? Keep out of it or I'll tell them about you too." Magnus grabbed the boys Jacket to push him back. Alec's family had basically taken him in and no one spoke to his family like that. The other boy raised his fist and Jace shot in between them.

***

Maryse put the phone on the stand while Robert sat on the arm of the sofa. Alec was sleeping softly with his old blanket laid out over him. He still needed it sometimes like when he was six and not sixteen. Robert looked up from his eldest son. "How long for?"

"They said that he's suspended for two days but it could have been worse. They said that because it's the end of the day that they can walk home but they want to meet us tomorrow morning, so we can talk with the other boy's father. I knew that he'd been acting up, Robert, but this is a new low."

***

Izzy and Max had decided to go to the park so Jace and Magnus walked silently with their heads down. Jace kicked a stone in anger and it skittered down the road. "He had no right to say anything about you Magnus. Did he upset you?" Magnus stopped and made Jace look at him. His sleeve was over his hand and he touched it to Jace's slit lip with a brotherly tenderness. "He hurt you more than he hurt me. Turn your head" Jace obeyed as Magnus held onto his chin. "I can't believe you did that Jace. You're going to have such a black eye tomorrow.

Jace tried to smile but stopped as his lip stung. "Ye well, I'm still prettier than he is. He was going to say things about you Magnus...I couldn't just stand there and let him shout it to the school yard. He would have broken your jaw from that angle, if I hadn't jumped in."

Magnus looked up defiantly. "I don't care about hiding what I am, Jace. Let's be realistic here, you also know about Alec...But do you know about us? Us, us?" Jace nodded and tried to hide his grin. "It's been killing me!! OHMYGOD I mean you guys are so cute! But running around all the time! And dude! You are so obvious! And I eat breakfast where you guys make out when you think no one's home!" Magnus went bright pink.

"Is it okay? I mean I figured you did know by now, but Alec is NOT ready for anyone to know yet so you can't tell him! Is...is it okay?? I figured that I'd probably need your approval because you're his brother and all."

Jace clapped Magnus on the shoulder. "Since when has Alec been a swooning 19th century maiden?" He laughed. "No stupid! You make my brother happy and that's all I want for him. Seeing you guys together actually makes me wish that I had that sometimes."

Magnus raised an eyebrow. "What's the girl's name, Jace?"

Jace spoke quickly as he sped up. "I never said there was one! What's with the third degree!" Magnus tilted his head and grinned as he ruffled Jace's hair, the game was up and Jace sighed as he gave in. Magnus was wise and not much got past him. Jace spoke sadly. "I think that she likes Izzy's friend who's she's known since she was a kid. I've seen how that worked with you and Alec, she'd probably marry him eventually." Magnus clipped Jace slightly on the back of the head. "Jace! You absolute idiot!"

"HEY! What was that for?!"

"You can't just stand around and wait for her to go with another boy! Fight for her! You called Alec a 19th century maiden, well get on your steed and race after her!" Jace stood with his chin up. "YES! Okay! I can do it! Her knight is coming! Buuut I have to deal with Mom and Dad first.

***

Maryse gasped as Jace and Magnus slipped through the door. "Your face! Why the hell did you start a fight with another boy! How could you be so stupid Jace! I knew that there were things you hadn't been telling me, with all the sneaking out lately, but this?!"

Jace usually fought back but ran his tongue over his split lip in silence. He couldn't tell anyone what had caused the fight without exposing Alec. "I'm sorry Mom, he just got on my nerves."

"Violence is never the answer Jace!" Jace glanced behind his parents for a second. Magnus slipped through the living room door. Jace tried to divert his eye line as he saw Magnus rush over to Alec who was just waking up, he must have been worrying about him all day. "Mom, Dad, I need to clean my mouth. Can you go in the kitchen and I'll be there in a minute, so we can speak in private?" Maryse looked taken back but her and Robert went into the kitchen. Jace pulled the door slightly and went into the bathroom that was adjoining to the hall. He turned the tap slightly and wet a cloth that was over the sink.

He dabbed at his lip as he stood against the frame of the living room door. Magnus had Alec gathered against him and Alec had tears down his face (He was always emotional when he was ill). Jace watched silently as Magnus kissed the top of Alec's head and placed a hand against his forehead. Jace bet to himself that Magnus wouldn't tell Alec about the hits that he had taken before he had reached him earlier. Magnus pulled Alec tighter against him, Jace bet again that Magnus would be sick by tomorrow too. Jace watched from the door as Magnus kissed Alec softly, ignoring his protests that he would catch what he had. Magnus teared up as he gripped Alec tightly. "My poor baby, are you okay? I've been so worried about you." Alec hugged Magnus around his waist and he put his head on his shoulder. "I am now that you're here. I love you, Magnus"

Jace slipped from the room, leaving them to it. He put his hand on the front door handle and looked into the crack of light in the kitchen door. He weighed up how angry Maryse and Robert were and how angry they would be when they realised what he was about to do. He swung the door open and shot out before they could catch him leaving. I want that.