Chapter 16: About time

Beautiful music drifted all throughout the house. Soft delicate tunes and light notes that were so far from reflecting the harsh and broken boy who had joined the Lightwoods as a child. Jace's hands stopped moving over the keys and he sat back in his chair and smiled.

"What do you think?"

Clary was sat on the edge of his bed, she had been absorbed in every note and tears filled her eyes, threatening to spill onto her freckled cheeks.

"That was beautiful. You wrote that for me?"

Jace nodded as he wheeled the chair over to the bed. He had told Izzy about a month ago that he was dating Clary, but she had laughed and shrugged it off. He understood that she didn't trust him with Clary's heart but he knew that he would never do anything to hurt her. Clary was special. She was the only girl who made him want to tear down walls and burn worlds to keep her safe.

"Jace...I know we've only been dating for four months...and that we're not fourteen just yet...but I really care about you. There's been things that I've wanted to say for a while and couldn't because I was afraid. I mean this is my first relationship- and I don't want to push you or scare you into something you don't want to say if you're not rea-"

"I love you too, Clary."

Clary moved over as Jace sat down next to her. "You do?"

"How could I not? Do you remember back in March? When I wrecked our kitchen by putting washing up liquid in the washing machine?"

Clary nodded and tried not to laugh. "Everyone was so mad."

Jace smiled and ran a lock of her red hair through his fingers. "Well that was the morning after you asked me to be your boyfriend and I was so happy, I was dancing around the kitchen-" Clary smiled. "-Well you know I found Alec's jeans with the paint on them? I thought I would be mad at him for causing me problems, I mean I literally made bubbles flow out of the kitchen door, in order to hide his secret, and I got grounded for two months for it. Arguably it wasn't the best decision I ever made but while I was grounded, I used to wait for Max to fall asleep, so I could sneak out to see you, and I finally got it, why I couldn't stay away, why Alec and Magnus do stupid things without thinking, sometimes. People do crazy things when they care about someone and I couldn't fault Alec in any way for doing crazy things... because he's in love... like I am."

Clary pouted her bottom lip slightly and put her hand against Jace's face. "Does it worry you that we're so young? That this isn't just us at playing adults? I admit that I was worried at first, but I've seen other couples in school and it's not the same for us, Jace. I know it's not."

Jace put his hand over Clary's. "I feel the same way. There's something about you Clary, something about us. It's like when I'm with you, there's no feeling like it. I cant think straight unless I'm with you and I know that you're okay. I would destroy planets and fight angels to keep you safe."

Clary sat back against his pillow as her heart raced slightly. They had had only very chaste kisses so far, so this was a bit frightening to ask. Jace had said before that he wanted everything that happened, now and in the future, to be on Clary's terms.

She smiled and looked up as she whispered softly. "Jace...? Would it be totally crazy if we made out?"

Jace moved closer to Clary, shifting his music books out of the way to make room next to her. His face lit up in a devious smile as he knelt next to her on the bed. He fitted his hand perfectly to the side of Clary's face as she sat up and looked back at him. "You're in control, Clary, okay?" Clary nodded as she pressed her lips gently against Jace's. He motioned her backwards, softly, and she sat back against his pillows.