Chapter 14: Red diamond

"And what about you Jace? What did you achieve today"?

Jace looked up from across the dinner table. Several peas fell from his fork.

Someone. Is. Running. Their. Foot. Up. MY. LEG. OHMYGOD. DAD GET ME OUT OF THIS HOUSE. Is this a face that says, "I want to talk about my day?" NO! This is a face that says that it wants Alec's boyfriend to take a hint and stop sticking his foot up my trouser leg!

Jace tried to appear calm, even though he was freaking out inside. How could he get himself out of this without making it too obvious? "Not much Dad. I got three girls to give me their numbers."

Robert spoke between several mouthfuls of food, prolonging the conversation when all Jace wanted to do was get up. "Jace... that's not really... an achievement. I was thinking about your gymnastics.... I saw you on the trampoline earlier... That routine is coming together nicely."

Robert turned to his eldest son, who was unknowingly making heart eyes to his boyfriend, sitting across the table. Aleeeec take him off meee. Jace rolled his eyes and sighed into his drink. He wanted to dunk his face in his plate. Someone get up. Move. Anything! How on Earth they hadn't been found out yet was beyond him. No! I don't want you to do it to the other one! Robert snapped his fingers to get Alec's attention as his son put a forkful of mashed potatoes into his mouth. Ohmygod, the things I endure for this pair. "What about you Alec? Heard a lot of banging around up there?" Alec inhaled everything he had been eating and Jace got up to thump him on the back. Well at least that got Magnus off me.

Alec sat back down and took a sip of his drink. "No...Noth...Nothing really, we were just talking about me being able to drive without an adult tomorrow. We were thinking of going out for burgers or ice cream or something."

Maryse set her knife and fork down and started wiping her mouth. "That sounds nice. Me and Izzy are taking Max shopping for new clothes tomorrow and we're going to get new paint for her room if you want to help. Are you sure you don't want to take Jace with you? Get him out of the house?"

Jace crossed his arms over. No, thank you. I'd rather stay here and do nothing than endure that mush fest.

Luckily, he was spared as Alec started gathering plates. "Absolutely not Mom, he's not coming"

Well thank you for small mercies!!

***

"Izzy! Jace! Stop cursing in front of Max!"

Jace raced his car around the corner of the TV screen, biting his tongue as he skidded on the track. "It's part of the game Mom, it adds to the ambience!"

Maryse sat down on the sofa and rolled her eyes. "Ambience or not, please don't swear, Jace." Izzy pushed her brother slightly and tried not to step on Max who was sat in front of them with his legs crossed. His eyes darted back and forth with the screen.

Izzy spoke as he tried to move in front of Jace. "Listen Jace. Remember when I told you about that boy in my class? Well it turns out that Jonathan's sister only dated him for two weeks and it was ages ago, and they called it off because they said it was too weird. He actually said that you two would complement each other perfectly. I suppose if you let me win then I could introduce you to her." Maryse rolled her eyes from behind them.

Jace spoke as he finished another lap with his tongue out. He pushed Izzy back with his elbow. "No thank you, Izzy."

Izzy stamped her foot as she skidded off the track again and got set back. "Really Jace? You pestered me for her number before and now you're just going to let it go because of a game? I thought better of you than that."