My Boy • XII

"So, you lied to him?" Mel asked softly, playing with the pillow on my bed.

Yes, I did. I lied.

I wiped my swollen eyes and nodded, "He was looking forward to college so much...I just couldn't do that to him. This was the only way without killing the baby."

Mel stayed silent for a couple minutes, and then said, "He does have a right to know though, Ray. It's his child after all." My heart gave another little flutter at 'his child'. Those words just did that to me, knowing my child is also Kento's child.

I bit my lip, "He doesn't have to know, okay? It's better this way, and I'll probably never see him again anyway."

"Are you so sure about that? He kissed you today, Raya. He comforted you; he cares about you." I didn't respond so she continued, "What happens if he does see you?"

"He won't," I said confidently.

"And you're not gonna put the child up for adoption after you have it?" She asked, this time her tone was uncertain.

Truthfully, I had thought about this. But, if I was going to go through the pregnancy, learning to love the baby that was still growing inside me, I wouldn't be able to give it up. I get too attached to things especially knowing that Kento and I had created the baby together.

"No, it'll be mine," I said, my tone certain.

She sighed and then allowed a small smile to flutter across her face, while she pushed back some of her blonde hair, "So, what are you gonna name the baby?" I looked up at her from my spot on the floor and smiled as well, glad we stopped the discussion.

"If it's a boy then I'll name him Tylor."

She laid down on her stomach, peering over my comforter at me, "And a girl?"

I smiled softly and thought of Kento, remembering one day in specific.

:

:

:

:
Kento and I were sprawled out on the grass of the park, looking up at the blue sky. The party had happened two weeks ago, and so far, neither of us brought it up...thankfully.

"What would be your choice of career if you weren't interested in writing?" I asked him. We were currently playing '20 Questions', that one being my 18th.

He watched the big cloud that loomed over us, watching as the wind slowly moved it across the expanse of the blue sky, "I dunno. Get into music I guess." He cocked his head to the side, "Does that cloud look like dog to you?"

"Is that your eighteenth question?"

He chuckled and I suddenly felt warm inside, "Yeah, sure."

I laughed, "Which one?" He pointed up toward a cluster of them, and I saw a bruise on his arm. I frowned, knowing it was from his father.

"That one," he said

"There's a lot of them up there."

Kento laughed and moved closer to my side, taking my hand. My heart suddenly seemed to beat faster, heat rushing up to my face. He pointed with my finger right above my eye, "That one." I saw it now and I swallowed. He dropped our hands in between us but I noticed he didn't let go.

"I dunno Kenny, it kinda looks like a blob to me."

Well, it did.

He sighed, shaking his head, "No imagination."

I smiled. "I'm not the world's next best-selling author with an imagination," I teased.

He smiled his crooked smile - something he had been doing a lot lately on account that he rarely smiled before - and tilted his head toward me, "Your turn again." I kept my head straightforward.

I felt the heat of his hand pressed into mine and I smiled softly, "What would you name your daughter if you had one?"

"Not son?" I heard him say.

I shook my head, "No, your daughter."

He thought for a minute and then squeezed my hand when he came up with the answer, "Lianna."

"Lianna?"

He nodded, "Yep."

"Why Lianna?"

He looked at me teasingly, and this time I turned my head to the side to catch his beautiful eyes, "Is that your twentieth question?"

I thought for a moment before laughing, "Yes, that's my last question."

"Because Lianna was my mom's middle name, and because Lianna is going to be the name of the first character I introduce in my first book."

He squeezed my hand again and I smiled, loving the way his eyes shone brightly.
:

:

:

:

:

I turned back to Mel, whom was still expecting an answer, "I'd name her Lianna."

Mel tested out the name, "Lianna. Lianna. I like it."

I smiled.

I do, too.