My Boy • XIX

I sank down on the couch, watching Lianna play with her dolls on the floor in front of me, and turned on the television.

"Lookie momma, lookie. Isn't her hair pretty?" Lianna held out a black doll with a braid going down the center.

I smiled, "Beautiful, darling."

I turned back to the TV and started to flip through the channels.

News, Fairly Odd Parents, MTV, Kento on a talk show, Dexter's Laboratory, Hann-

What?!

I flipped back two channels and felt my heart speeding up as I saw Kento seated across from a woman I didn't know. I figured she was the show host.

He looked so much more mature now, not that he wasn't before. He's was wearing a dark navy blue blazer with a white shirt underneath and dark jeans. His black hair still in that messy look that only he could pull off. It really didn't surprise me when I saw most of the people in the audience were teenage girls practically drooling.

Lianna giggled and I snapped my gaze to her, only finding that she to was watching Kento. "He's a cuteee, momma." I laughed out loud. If only she knew...

"He is, isn't he?" I asked her teasingly.

She just giggled in response. I wondered if she knew that Kento and her were practically identical.

I tuned into what they were saying. "And for such a young man, you've managed to become a very well-known author. How did you do it?" The host asked.

Kento laughed and my heart skipped a beat as he started to answer the question, "Well, actually, I've had a lot of support from some friends. They really keep me writing and I would be nothing without them. They're my inspiration really."

"And when you were younger, did you have any other hobbies besides writing?"

"Yeah, I was obsessed with music. I played the guitar and even the piano occasionally. But it didn't compare to writing."

The host smiled and nodded. "Okay Kento, we have time for one more question." A mischievous smile came onto her face and I found myself leaning forward. "Most of the ladies in the audience are wondering if you have a love life. You've seemed to be hiding it if you do."

Kento laughed again and he held out his arms, "What love life?" The girls giggled. He leaned back in his chair, "No, but seriously. I don't have one. I haven't really had the time lately."

The host leaned forward a bit, "So, you're saying there's no one?"

I held my breath as I saw Kento pause. "There is one, but I haven't talked to her in a really long time."

I closed my eyes. I knew who he was talking about.

I turned off the TV. But what I didn't know was that the hostess was announcing where Kento next book signing would be.

Lianna was quietly brushing out the hair of her doll. I watched my daughter play as thoughts ran through my mind. I could have told her right then and there that she had just seen her daddy on TV. But I couldn't. I was too much of a coward to do so.

And besides, even if Kento still liked me, he wouldn't for long if he knew about Lianna. I had lied so many times to him on the phone and once to his face.

"Come on kiddo." I swooped my baby up in my arms and she squealed, "Bedtime."

"But mommaaaa, it's only eight."

"Exactly. Bedtime, sweetie. We can't have you tired for your second day of preschool. What will your friends think?"

She thought about this for a moment and then let out a sassy sigh. "Bine," which of course was meant to be "fine", but once again I didn't correct her.

I gently laid her into bed, pulling the covers up around her. "Book, pwease."

She loved books already and it didn't take a genius to know where she got that.

"I can't tonight, sweetie. I have some work I have to finish." At seeing her lip start to tremble, I kissed her forehead. "I'll make you a deal. I won't read to you tonight but on Friday we'll go to the bookstore and get you a new book, okay?"

She smiled then, nodding. She kissed my lips lightly, "Night momma."

"Goodnight darling. Don't let the bed bugs bite."

She paused, "They bite?" I could tell she was horrified.

I chuckled, "I love you, baby. They don't bite. They love you too."

"Oh."

And then she went to sleep. I don't know how long I looked at my daughter before leaving the room, but as soon as I finished my work, I went to bed.